• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Hello!

Chessie2

Staff
Article Team
Hi! My OG name was missing when I tried logging in so I started a #2. The new site is nice! A bit different but I like it better. I had to go underground for a while due to reasons (slightly disturbing ones but I'll spare you the details). Life has been hectic but we're whole and healthy. My books have gained a little traction and I'm due to release a new novel in November. So...writing has been a roller coaster and self publishing even more so but hey, I couldn't ask for more!

One thing though--I stopped writing fantasy after my one fantasy title flopped. I've decided to stay in historical romance because I love love love the genre. So why am I back to a fantasy writing site? Honestly, I've missed interacting with you guys and I look forward to reconnecting with old friends. Sweet! :D

pmmg

Myth Weaver
I'm still getting used to the new site. Welcome back Chessie...but how do we know you are the real Chessie and not a clone Chessie while the real one is still being kept by some shady underground types...Hmmmm....

Seems there are a few members ready to move on from Fantasy. What's the beef? What's become wrong with Fantasy?

Chessie2

Staff
Article Team
Oh, I'm the real Chessie all right. Promise. :)

Regarding your question, I got simply sick and tired of reading the same old boring BS let-me-copy-GRRM books that I keep finding all over the place. I'm very specific in what I like in my fantasy and I haven't bonded with anything for ages. I do, however, have a fantasy romance series waiting on my Kindle that I'm excited about. Only thing is, my husband broke my device so I can't read until I get a new one. Sigh.

pmmg

Myth Weaver
Is that common? I often find I think I am reading clones of Tolkien, but I feel I am still catching up on the evolution of the genre and the big names in it. GRRM has not really been on the scene long enough for me to believe there are a lot of clones. Plus, I think he would be hard to clone, as I don't find many who have his skill at the craft.

I do think Fantasy lends itself to some types of stories, and so some elements seem to repeat a lot, such as dark lords and chosen ones and all, but...to me, that just means the is an opportunity to strike out and do something different and perhaps change things so that people say I am tired of reading clones of you.

But now I am back to clones. I may need some kind of proof.

Chessie2

Staff
Article Team
Oh, I'll eventually write fantasy again. I'm just taking a bit of a break to gain traction as an author. Then I need to find a way to diversify...

Russ

Istar
Hey Chess!!!! Great to see you back again and hear that you are your are healthy.
There are plenty of GRRM clones out there, and finding the good stuff takes some digging.
So pleased to hear some of your writing is gaining traction. Keep up the great work.

Reaver

Staff
Great to have you back Chessie! If you miss it, PM Black Dragon about getting your old name back. I'm willing to bet he'd be happy to help you out.

Nimue

Auror
Chessie!! I was sad when you disappeared--it's good to hear things have settled down for you again and that your publishing is going well! Talk historical romance all you want, you'll have no objection from me, heh.

Chessie2

Staff
Article Team
Reaver: I kinda like the #2. It's like my better behaved alter ego hah!

Hello, Svrt! I've missed you!

Hi, Nimue. :D My publishing could be going better...I think my shorts don't sell well because of their size. But I've got a line up of novels coming over the next year so that should change things. <3 I was sad to have disappeared too but sometimes you just gotta do it...

Nimue

Auror
Publishing multiple novels in a year is "going well" as far as I'm concerned, no questions asked! Take the time to appreciate the hard work you've put in. :)

Rkcapps

Sage
Hi Chessie, welcome back (not that I was here before!). Exciting news about your books. Good luck with everything. Glad everything has smoothed out for you. Bumps in the road aren't fun. I empathise. Fantasy can have romantic subplots so you certainly are most certainly welcome to share historical romance!

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
I just knew there was something missing around here .... :)

Glad to have you back around. Historical romance, eh? There isn't any kissing is there? Ew.

>I think my shorts don't sell well because of their size
Never sell yourself short....