• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Hello!

Gypzee

Dreamer
I am so pleased to have stumbled upon this group! I did so while searching how to write accents and the thread I found was quite helpful.

I am attempting to write a book or short stories based upon my online role playing 1999-2002. It was a lot of fun and I met some magnificent players I am friends with 'til this day.

I expect, and look forward, to learning a great deal. Thanks for having me!

Ankari

Hero Breaker
Hello and welcome, Gypzee. I love your avatar. That game is a great example of quality storytelling in video games.

Gypzee

Dreamer
Howdy Gypzee. What accents are you trying to write?
An Irish accent .. I've been researching the different areas and how they would sound. Not a definitive recording for the western part of the continent, but enough to have it my mind when I write, which helps. And then listening to various videos. Mostly I've been watching the Irish Tastes.. videos on you tube, which are quite funny.

Back when I started Role Playing, I think I used everything there was ... from either no 'h' at the beginning and/or no 't' at the end and many many variations. As she comes from a small village that was named after Carrick (and called Carrick) it was a heavy accent when she first appeared in Rhydin. Over time, it mellowed out, being influenced by others she was around. I've decided to lighten up her beginnings even further (aye, ye, no 't' on only a few words, and no 'g' on the end of words, ta for to, th' for the .. not over bearing.)

I have a couple of ladies at work read over it 'ta make sure they kin understand it'

Svrtnsse

Staff
Article Team
What's the craic? I live in Cork so like. Will I give some example on how your man sound when he's langers? It'll be grand like.

Seriously though? I'm not Irish, but I've lived in Cork for the past ten years and I've picked up on a few of the language things they do here. The old cab drivers are almost completely incomprehensible, but then that's true for everywhere. A lot of the time it's not the accent itself that's the issue but the words they use.
I don't know how much you've studied that, but for the examples above there's the following:
"craic" is the word for good times and having fun, but what's the craic is more like "what's up"
"so like" is just something they add on now and then for no good reason
"will I" is how they ask if you want them to do so something? "Will I do it for you?" means "Do you want me to do it for you. On the flipside, "I will, yeah." means "I absolutely won't"
"your man" is "that person" or "some random dude in general"
"langers" - drunk

:)