1. Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us.

Hello

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by anotherwriter2019, Aug 4, 2019.

1. anotherwriter2019

anotherwriter2019 Acolyte

Hello everybody,

Thank you for giving me a place to crawl out of my shell and talk about my love for writing with like-minded individuals. It's hard to have a passion for writing when the ones closest to you don't understand what it means to be a writer or how to support you in a non-biased way. Although I love how my family is my biggest fans, I know that they only love everything I write, because they are my family!

Anyways, I look forward to getting to know some of you and hopefully, we can help each other achieve success with our future writing projects!

2. CupofJoe

CupofJoe Myth Weaver

Hail and well-met anotherwriter2019
    Good to have you here.
    Getting unbiased feedback on what we write is important, but I think having a cheerleading squad in your back pocket can be a lot of help. There are times when the metaphorical cup of tea and a smile can work wonders.
    Anyway, the bar is open and it is two for one night on Kobol Oak Cask IPA and Dwarf Deep Mine Whiskey. It makes a good Boilermaker...
    Leap on in and enjoy!

3. Hello and welcome!

Ahhh family. . .

Just want to say I understand that it's often difficult for family to truly understand how to support creative pursuits. I think it's left to us to teach them the skill.

When it came to anything creative in life, I usually received the backhanded compliments and the "yes, but..." support. Though I've been making a living as a creator for ten years, full time, still to this day my mother likes to remind me of my past life as a chef/cafe owner and say things like, "Yes it's wonderful that you're happy doing what you do. . . but it's a shame you gave up cooking, you were so good at it." Umm ok, except I never gave up cooking. I still consult for others and I cook every meal I eat at home. And I enjoy it more now than I did when it was my career which was, in fact, 100 times more stressful for me to maintain.

Even in this, she means well. :giggle:

With writing, what intrigues members of my own family is never the actual writing itself. (I'm the only lifelong fiction reader/writer in the bunch.) But when I take the time to show them how the inspiration for a story came directly from things/places or even the people they know: Extended family members, neighborhood shops and their proprietors, places we lived etc. They are amazed that any of it could inspire a story or find a home in a fantasy book. :)

So we turn to others for the gift of that feedback.

Anyhoo. . .

Welcome again and looking forward to your participation.

4. William Russell

William Russell Dreamer

Hello and welcome anotherwriter2019,
    My family is very supportive of me which is nice and I consider myself very lucky. I even got my brother to read a non-text book for the first time in his life! The miracles never cease to amaze. My mother is the creative one in our family and I must have inherited her genes on that part of the 50/50. Nice to read discussions here from like minded people and is the best part of this forum.
    Hope you enjoy it.