1. Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us.

Helm with Glasses

Discussion in 'Research' started by A. E. Lowan, Oct 11, 2020.

1. A. E. Lowan

A. E. Lowan Forum Mom Leadership

I have a combat magician I'm sending into battle and I need her in a helm for her protection, but she's wearing glasses. Can this work? Does this work? All I can think of is my martial arts classes when I was a kid, and how much it hurt to get hit in the glasses through my head protection, some of which I can use, but that was a foam headpiece.

Any ideas? Thanks!

2. Insolent Lad

Insolent Lad Inkling

Plenty enough modern soldiers have worn glasses with their helmets, both prescription and sunglasses. Or you might opt for some sort of prescription goggles instead of normal over-the-ear glasses

3. A. E. Lowan

All great ideas, except I'm stuck with the glasses due to time constraints. If worse comes to worse, I can rewrite a section of the book and give her contacts, but that sucks, so I don't want to do it. :D She's being equipped at the last minute in dwarven armor that's basically fantasy/medieval/Renaissance with room to wiggle. Clockwork wouldn't be outside the realm of possibility, for example.

4. Devor

Devor Fiery Keeper of the Hat Moderator

I think he'd just have glasses under his helm and have that be uncomfortable. I mean it's not ideal. They could probably be redesigned to be more durable. If he takes a mace to the head they'll probably break, but at that point he's lucky to be alive anyways. In a battle he's going to be full of adrenaline so having his glasses bumped painfully into his head probably wouldn't phase him, but it'd be a thing he complains about later, which might be character building.

A. E. Lowan likes this.
  5. Svrtnsse

Svrtnsse Staff Article Team

What are you doing to Jessie, you cruel, cruel women!

Does it have to be a close faced helmet or can it be an open one? Maybe they can just rip off the visor as a last minute modification?

A. E. Lowan likes this.
  6. pmmg

pmmg Auror

Have a drawf say... oh i see you have glasses, let me craft something for you.

A. E. Lowan likes this.
  7. Malik

Malik Auror

A couple of things. You need to make sure the earpieces of the glasses are wide and flat--look at Oakley Gascans for an example--this will ensure that they don't blister or dig into the scalp. Also, it's important that they don't extend past the natural curve of the head. Lastly, they absolutely need to be tethered to the back of the head with something like a sports band. There is no way to adjust your glasses inside a helmet. Once they slip--and it gets pretty sweaty in there--it's over.

In The New Magic, Carter Sorenson wears prescription Oakleys inside his helmet, both for vision and for extra protection. He had the armor custom-made to fit, though. It's doable.

An easier way to do this would be to use a half-helm with a mail coif or attached aventail, and maybe a Hutton Soo-type faceplate.

However, you can see here, if the visor was attached to the outside of the helmet--as they typically were--it would clear my shooting glasses no problem.

Turret Small.jpg

A. E. Lowan likes this.
  8. Malik

Malik Auror

*Sutton Hoo.

Apologies; I've seen it spelled both ways so much I forgot which was which. Either way, a Google search will get you there.

A. E. Lowan likes this.
  9. A. E. Lowan

I'm a terrible person. :D

It can be open or closed. She's going to be pretty far back from the front line with the rest of the magicians. I love Malik's idea of something prescription and something well-fitted. Jessie has earned a black belt in Judo, so she's going to have a reason to have that in her nightstand within easy access. Yis! Thank you guys so much! I think I can make this work and be plausible.

Svrtnsse likes this.
  10. A. E. Lowan

I know exactly what you're talking about and I think it's perfect. Thanks!

Malik likes this.