• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Help/comments on my fantasy map?

bob1thousand

Minstrel
Anybody have any comments or advice for my fantasy map? It’s not 100% to scale and the buildings represents cities/kingdoms.
uHGu__x1xSPPPzTAjsPNJo6o2zaUOxZF18alVPxtCki0Z-fFBYdzChJGSmhfVHNv8yE8xVY527tMBLg2rH-j2fhsMwZBYHo_Uq7rxZm2ByH4KRHgA-CZEgfs_UImXAkZVcWJPbCF

Devor

Fiery Keeper of the Hat
It's a little boxy, with mountains straight across the top and bottom. The shoreline also looks a little neat in places, especially the nearly straight line right above the river. Otherwise it looks pretty good.

bob1thousand

Minstrel
It's a little boxy, with mountains straight across the top and bottom. The shoreline also looks a little neat in places, especially the nearly straight line right above the river. Otherwise it looks pretty good.
yeah. i don't fully like the mountains. i wanted the mountains the dwarfs lived in apart from the mountains that bordered the dessert so i ended up here.

CupofJoe

Myth Weaver
Having the river/gulf suddenly end at Medis looks a bit odd. But I'd accept that if it was a map of the "known" world so there would "here be dragons" [other mythical creatures are available] at the margins. At some point accuracy and knowledge runs out and and the author just fills in the blanks.

Not bad! If this is set in a low tech world, most inland towns would require a source of fresh water to be nearby: Tributaries of the river, lakes, springs etc. unless magic is used or the type of inhabitants don't require water. Agree with Devor about the coastline and even the river itself could have a more natural flow to it. Look at aerial images or rivers for some ideas there. Coastline too. Look at old world maps and just borrow from their coastline variations. :)

bob1thousand

Minstrel
Having the river/gulf suddenly end at Medis looks a bit odd. But I'd accept that if it was a map of the "known" world so there would "here be dragons" [other mythical creatures are available] at the margins. At some point accuracy and knowledge runs out and and the author just fills in the blanks.
i was having it that the water was from the mountains and dug out by people and medis was founded at the start of it.

bob1thousand

Minstrel
Not bad! If this is set in a low tech world, most inland towns would require a source of fresh water to be nearby: Tributaries of the river, lakes, springs etc. unless magic is used or the type of inhabitants don't require water. Agree with Devor about the coastline and even the river itself could have a more natural flow to it. Look at aerial images or rivers for some ideas there. Coastline too. Look at old world maps and just borrow from their coastline variations. :)
the coastline is a bit strange but i'm gonna smooth it out at a later time. also there are smaller rivers, lakes and ponds around but aren't big/significant enough to show.