• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Help Finding a Book?

J. S. Elliot

Inkling
Long story short, someone let me borrow this book quite a while ago (I was eight, actually, which makes it over a decade ago), and I'd like to find it again. I've been looking for about three years unsuccessfully, so I figured I'd turn to MS for a little help. It was an adult scifi novel, but I can't remember the name, author, or the names of the characters ... which makes things difficult. What I do remember of it, however:

White hardback, that smelled old when I borrowed it.

It was about colonizing a planet with lower gravity, and basically test-breeding a whole population for a few centuries to see if it's liveable. Ex-"Earthians" are supervising as authority and from their own ship, and a common method of transportation for the natives is light metal wings they put on their arms because a good jump will get them airborne.

The male MC was an ex-Earthian (can't remember what they actually called themselves), and he called one of his two romantic partners, the blonde, a banana when she wore a yellow flight suit. The other romantic partner of his was a dark haired scientist, with whom I remember he and this character "christianed" the planet by being the first ones to shag on it.

The female MC was a native to the colony, a teen, and her almost-boyfriend ended up marrying her friend when they put her in a sleep capsule for 20 years. She was a redhead, I think, but I'm not positive.

Other things of note ... There was this older lady on the aforementioned ship who went two/three times as long as everyone else without using the sleep capsule to renew them physically, and she acted as a bit of a mentor to the female MC on the philosophical side. She also introduced her to fake-bacon and laments the fact they ran out of real meat a while ago.

After doing the sleep capsule, though, the female MC also has a bit of an "oh crap" moment when she gets into a conflict on the colony and seriously hurts someone, because she was training on Earth-level gravity on the ship, which made her stronger than any of the other natives. I think she also broke an arm and ruined her flight wings near the end of the book.

Does this ring any bells for anyone? Thanks for looking this over. ^^

Noma Galway

Archmage
No bells, sorry :(. I'm not a huge sci-fi person, but I can check out my library and see if anything matches the description?