• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Help me find the book.

So I was making a list of books I read in Dutch when I was a teenager because I want to re-read them in English. I got the idea of making a list and re-reading them after a nostalgic moment where I thought back of Feist's "Magician" and realized I could barely remember anything from the 15 or something books I read of him. And those books left a HUGE mark on my own writing as well as my teenage years. So, cursing my bad memory, I decided to buy all of Feist's book (all 30-something of them, even the ones I didn't read) one by one.

But now, I also thought back of a second series (of which I only read the first book because they didn't have the others in the library). Now that I'm older and can simply order them via amazon for a reasonable price, I want to buy those too. The thing is I don't remember the name of the book at all. And that really, really saddens me. So please help me find those books. I'll try to share as much detail as I can remember (there might be minor spoilers ahead - I'll put those in a spoiler cap). I don't think it's an extremely well known series but well known enough to have one book at the library.

So as far as I know there are only humans in these books. There are a kind of wildlings too (it's possible these are just humans though, they seem inspired by woads). One of the antagonist is half-wildling and

at one point - as he seeks to get the woad/wildling's help, he is captured and tortured by driving sticks through his wrists and into a rock.

I know the book starts with a defeated army leaving the kingdom (in the prologue). These "evil" houses (yes there are noble houses) live in their own barren section of the world after that defeat. The first book sees them launch an attack against the good guys. I think the house name of the main character (who is a squire I think?) started with an L or something. They take over a keep somewhere in the book.

I remember the squire/nobleman trekking through the woods with a shield-bearer (or something like that). Every nobleman had a trusted retainer (among his men-at-arms) who was called a shield-bearer or something. I also recall somewhere in the books a second (allied to the good guys) house being defeated in battle.

Some of this information might be faulty but most of it should be correct. Can anyone help me? :/