• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Help Me Narrow Down My "To Be Read" Pile

Which book should I read on my "to be read" list?

• Red Country

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • Irregular Creatures

• The Enterprise of Death

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Prince of Thorns

• The Black Prism

• The Warded Man

• Throne of the Crescent Moon

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • Thrall

• Theft of Swords

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • The Name of the Wind

Votes: 5 41.7%

• Total voters

Philip Overby

Staff
Article Team
I need some help. I keep bouncing around amongst several different books I'm reading at the moment and I need help choosing one to stick with. Most of them are at the very beginning, with some at half-way points. Any help narrowing this list down would be extremely helpful

At any one time I have 10 books on my "Currently Reading" list on my Kindle. Unfortunately, this means I jump to different novels depending on what mood I'm in. So what I hope to do, is narrow down my list to one novel to focus on and finish before moving on to the next one.

Help?

Here is my "Currently Reading" List:

1. Irregular Creatures by Chuck Wendig (short story collection)
2. Red Country by Joe Abercrombie
3. The Enterprise of Death by Jesse Bullington
4. Prince of Thorns by Mark Lawrence
5. The Black Prism by Brent Weeks
6. The Warded Man by Peter V. Brett
7. Throne of the Crescent Moon by Saladin Ahmed
8. Theft of Swords by Michael J. Sullivan
9. Thrall by Steven Shrewsbury
10. The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss

Whichever book gets the most votes, is the one I'll read. Any comments are also appreciated. If this works, I may come to you all in the future to beseech your wisdom.

Thanks!

BWFoster78

Myth Weaver
I need some help. I keep bouncing around amongst several different books I'm reading at the moment and I need help choosing one to stick with. Most of them are at the very beginning, with some at half-way points. Any help narrowing this list down would be extremely helpful

At any one time I have 10 books on my "Currently Reading" list on my Kindle. Unfortunately, this means I jump to different novels depending on what mood I'm in. So what I hope to do, is narrow down my list to one novel to focus on and finish before moving on to the next one.

Help?

Here is my "Currently Reading" List:

Whichever book gets the most votes, is the one I'll read. Any comments are also appreciated. If this works, I may come to you all in the future to beseech your wisdom.

Thanks!

Of those, I've read 5, 6, and 10. 5 and 6 I rate pretty similarly and both are definitely worth reading.

The Name of the Wind is one of my favorite books of all time. Put my vote down for that one.

Philip Overby

Staff
Article Team
I got the part when he meets the traveling carnival as a young boy. Does it pick up from there?

Thanks for the suggestions. I really like what I've read of almost all of these above, which is why I wanted to narrow them down to one.

Steerpike

Felis amatus
Read Theft of Swords. It is a lot of fun and Michael Sullivan sometimes posts in these forums.

Philip Overby

Staff
Article Team
Yeah, I downloaded it after he had a promotion and shared it on the site here. I haven't really got a chance to read it, so I definitely put that at the top of my list.

BWFoster78

Myth Weaver
Regarding Name of the Wind:

I thought the whole thing was quite engaging. If you're finding it slow going, it may not be for you.

EDIT: I'm planning on reading Theft of Swords in a few weeks.

Philip Overby

Staff
Article Team
I didn't think it was slow going. I was actually quite interested in what was happening altogether. Especially the very beginning.

ThinkerX

Myth Weaver
Not read

considered reading, might get to it someday

barely finished. just didn't grab me.

interesting premise, but with certain plot logical problems

Liked it!

Good...but...'overly contained' for an epic
nope, not read

Good, but rambling. The narrator is 'unreliable'.

[/quote]

kayd_mon

Sage
I'll vote for Theft of Swords, only because I haven't read your other choices, and Theft of Swords is second in line for me.

Ophiucha

Auror
I would vote for Name of the Wind if I didn't know half of the forum would vote for it, too. So I'll say Throne of the Crescent Moon as I love the author, though (of the ones I've read) you can't really go wrong with any of them.

faze

Dreamer
I went with the Black Prism simply becuase it is so rare to have an entirely new school of thought on magic, and it is one that works so well.

Eagle

Scribe
I put my little talon in with Name of the Wind. Mainly because it's the only one I've read (even though I have read Abercrombie and Weeks) but also because it is so spectacular it actually makes me weep.

GeekDavid

Auror
The only downside I can see to Name of the Wind is that Rothfuss hasn't gotten around to completing the trilogy yet. If you can handle a long-term cliffhanger, it's a very engaging read.

Eagle

Scribe
The only downside I can see to Name of the Wind is that Rothfuss hasn't gotten around to completing the trilogy yet. If you can handle a long-term cliffhanger, it's a very engaging read.

Damn that Rothfuss! I need The Doors of Stone now!

Eagle

Scribe
I know... I haven't looked recently, are there any hints about when it might be released yet?

Not at all. Rothfuss doesn't want to give a deadline now after the amount of times he had to delay The Wise Man's Fear. We can only hope it'll be out sometime in 2014.