• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Help With a Few Names

So I'm outlined through chapter fifteen, have names for all of my characters, and on paper have the entire plot arch mapped out. Unfortunately, I'm stuck with two major elements of my novel. I need two names, neither of which have anything to do with people.

The first name is the basic "another word for magic". I've googled, used a thesaurus, looked up words from other languages and still can't find something that rings the bell. To give you a little background information, magic is not forbidden in my novel but people relate magic to evil and negativity (for lack of better words). People have a tendency to exaggerate and conceptualize what they don't understand and haven't seen. One of my main characters has the gift of "another word for magic". I thought about something like "The Ancient Energies" but it sounds too generic to me.

The second name is for a rumored beast that lives in the Eastern Woods. The beast is essentially an overgrown panther, slightly smaller than a horse. We're looking at a fearsome creature here, but I need a name that matches that. Once again, I've used Google, a thesaurus, looked up words from other languages and still can't find something that connects with me.

Ready to help? Go!

Justme

Banned
Well, this might help, but then again it might be useless, but when I had trouble naming things before, I tried reversing the spelling and came up with some pretty unusual names. One character I had was the reverse of my name, which is Kevin, so the characters name turned out to be Nivek. It's really a hit and miss.

Shockley

Maester
You might look at other forms of the words 'sorcery' and 'magic' in other languages. I'm rather partial to Seidr (pronounced Sayth) and Zauberei.

Queshire

Istar
Why can't you use magic as is? I'm not a fan of call a rabbit a smerp even if it's magic and not a rabbit. I vote Seidr as well, but only 'cause I know what that is ^^ There's a lot that you can call it, but I'd like some more information on the magic before giving an opinion.

For the beast, I'd suggest Coeurl. It's a common enough monster name, mostly linked to final fantasy but not unique to it, and aside from being cat like and otherworldy what a Coeurl happens to be is pretty vague. Otherwise anything from Alice in Wonderland works.

If magic is feared, then consider having people refer to it with euphemisms, as a taboo subject. For example, look at the ways people use euphemisms to talk about sex.

Something like "the touch" or "that . . .that thing, you know?" or saying that someone is a bit odd or spooky or strange or unnatural or different?

The more vaguely people refer to it, the less they are willing to give it a name, will show most strongly their fear of it.

For the creature, something like stalker or ripper or eater? Night killer? Bad cat? Horrible cat?

shangrila

Inkling
For the creature, it might be worth looking up medieval (or whatever culture yours is based off) myths about similar creatures. Something like a Black Dog, perhaps?

Drakhov

Minstrel
If magic is feared, then consider having people refer to it with euphemisms, as a taboo subject. For example, look at the ways people use euphemisms to talk about sex.

Something like "the touch" or "that . . .that thing, you know?" or saying that someone is a bit odd or spooky or strange or unnatural or different?

The more vaguely people refer to it, the less they are willing to give it a name, will show most strongly their fear of it.

I agree about people skirting around naming something they fear or don't understand. What about something like 'The Mysteries' or The Other Arts?

Is the beast one of kind, semi-mythical creature, or is there a species of giant cat you're looking for a name for? If it's one of kind, then how about keeping it simple, such as The Beast "...few who have seen it live to tell the tale. A monstrous cat the size of a horse, or so it is said, the colour of shadow, with eyes like burning coals, and teeth long and sharp as swords..."