• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Help with my "Author Platform"

BWFoster78

Myth Weaver
I'm at something of a loss as to what to do with my website. Currently, it's just a WordPress blog, but, in the near future, I need to turn it into something that I can use to promote my book.

Option A

A completely new front page that just links to the blog

Option B

Keep things basically as they are but add functionality

I like the simple, clean look that I have now, and I don't want to clutter things up. I'm thinking that all the funtionality that I really need is:

Two promotional boxes - My understanding is that top left is the place to put promotions. I'm thinking of two boxes that each have a title, an image, and a bit of text. I'll use these to announce new releases, freebies, contests, and preorders. I'm not sure it would be effective, or that I would really need to, advertise more than two things at a time. I'll use the pages at the top for additional advertising.

Author photo - no idea where I'm going to put this.

I'm completely open to thoughts and opinions. Website design is not my forte.

Thanks.

Brian

Devor

Fiery Keeper of the Hat
My understanding is that top left is the place to put promotions.

The top left is typically the first thing your eyes see. I don't know that it's the place to put promotions, specifically, but it all depends on how the eyes track on your page and how well the promotions fit the page's theme. Aren't ads usually on the right-hand column close to the banner?

Last edited:

Chilari

Staff
I'll be honest: I think your website looks a little too plain, a little too stripped bare. You could stand to make it a little more visually interesting - something as simple as putting boxes around each post on the front page to make it stand out from the white background and so there's a greater distinction between each post would work, if that's possible in your current theme. Or you could look at other themes. If you find a theme which allows a header image, that might be a perfect place for either an author photo or the book cover - or both, depending on the header shape and size. For my website I've just got a small space for a header image in the left hand side bar, but if you got one that was across the whole of the top of the page, a pastiche with author photo and book cover and anything else you feel like would work nicely.

I think you should keep the blog as the home page. You can put promotional images in the side bar, perhaps which links to a "My books" page where you can create a full promotional page with book info and an image of the cover and all the rest. And of course an announcement in the blog at release.

I think there's an option on Wordpress to "sticky" a post at the top of the blog, regardless of later posts. That might be a way to do announcements of promotions, freebees and so on.

Devor

Fiery Keeper of the Hat
Chilari's site, I think, is visually well balanced. The eyes flow towards content, led on by a good use of contrast and placement. I think it just needs a banner and cover art on the top-right. I think it's a good model to look at.

BWFoster78

Myth Weaver
I'll be honest: I think your website looks a little too plain, a little too stripped bare. You could stand to make it a little more visually interesting - something as simple as putting boxes around each post on the front page to make it stand out from the white background and so there's a greater distinction between each post would work, if that's possible in your current theme. Or you could look at other themes. If you find a theme which allows a header image, that might be a perfect place for either an author photo or the book cover - or both, depending on the header shape and size. For my website I've just got a small space for a header image in the left hand side bar, but if you got one that was across the whole of the top of the page, a pastiche with author photo and book cover and anything else you feel like would work nicely.

Yeah, I'm not really a graphics guy. I'm planning on hiring someone to add the functunality, so maybe I'll have that person pretty it up a bit as well. I like the idea of the author image in the header.

I think you should keep the blog as the home page. You can put promotional images in the side bar, perhaps which links to a "My books" page where you can create a full promotional page with book info and an image of the cover and all the rest. And of course an announcement in the blog at release.

Definitely planning on the "my books" page. I was thinking that a couple of promo pictures top left would really draw attention to what I want to promote though. Something like:

Free Novelette

Image with Cover Art for Abuse of Power

Download your free copy of Abuse of Power

I think there's an option on Wordpress to "sticky" a post at the top of the blog, regardless of later posts. That might be a way to do announcements of promotions, freebees and so on.

That might be a better option than the promo boxes. What do you think?

BWFoster78

Myth Weaver
The top left is typically the first thing your eyes see. I don't know that it's the place to put promotions, specifically, but it all depends on how the eyes track on your page and how well the promotions fit the page's theme. Aren't ads usually on the right-hand column close to the banner?

Websites seem to put third party ads there, but, like you said, the top left is the first thing seen. The article I read said that the right side is very rarely even viewed, something like only 30% of people even flick their eyes over to it.

I was thinking that a couple of minor ads that weren't too in your face would work best top left.

Thoughts?

Devor

Fiery Keeper of the Hat
The article I read said that the right side is very rarely even viewed, something like only 30% of people even flick their eyes over to it.

It's not that simple - you need to lead the eyes to flick where you want them to.

It all depends, but I would think that people viewing a website would be put off if an ad was the first thing they saw.

Nihal

Vala
The top "banner" doesn't need to be an image, it can be a typographic logo too. The problem right now is that this font family is too generic, the kerning is bad - it's a webfont, I guess -, and the ".com" gives wrong idea. At first glance it I had the impression that it's one of those placeholder sites for domains without owners.

Besides the logo, the change I would do: Move the the sidebar to the right or reduce it's width. Right now it's competing with the main content.

Here are two examples of sites you can observe for ideas. One is so clean that even the logo is typo-only, the other uses a lot of icons, having ads and everything but still is neat.
Graphic design portfolio | David Airey, graphic designer
Smashing Magazine

Also, as you can see in the example below, many sites are moving to a magazine-like look. Lots of white space, big readable text, well-thought use of HQ images and clever use of limited colors.
Assassin's Creed III: Liberation Review - IGN
(in the past the site hadn't ads on the top and looked a little better)

BWFoster78

Myth Weaver
Here are two examples of sites you can observe for ideas. One is so clean that even the logo is typo-only, the other uses a lot of icons, having ads and everything but still is neat.
Graphic design portfolio | David Airey, graphic designer
Smashing Magazine

Where would you put the ads here, though?

BWFoster78

Myth Weaver
Seriously thinking I should just pay someone to give my website an overhaul...

I am not now, nor will I ever be, a graphics guy.

Nihal

Vala
Yes, it's not a bad idea to pay someone to overhaul your site, if you can afford it. I don't go around paying people for this kind of service, but only because I already have a background on the area (shh, it's a secret!). I wouldn't recommend someone to mess not only with layout, but coding if this person don't has enough time or knowledge.

About the ads it depends on the nature of the ads and the general layout of the site. If you want tonight I can do an explained mock-up with the kind of change I would do, I guess it could help other people there too. For me it's quicker than trying to explain in English only.

Alexandra

Closed Account
We are visual beings, all text and no pictures makes for a dull blog. We also enjoy contrast so all pictures with no text also makes for a dull blog. I've seen two or three blogs cited here... all text. :frown2:

Learn to use pictures, tis not hard; just leaf through a magazine or visit my blog. Why hire someone to do something you can easily learn to do yourself?

Nihal

Vala
@Alexandra
Creating a professional layout is not that simple. Don't forget you must take in account not only the general "layout" but the subsections, the possible usage, cross-browser compatibility, screen sizes, SEO... If you don't have the time get someone to do it for you or the best theme you can find.
--

Anyway, Brian, I've made an example not only for you but anyone interested in creating a blog. If the fact I've used your site in my example bothers you just say and I remove it. By no means you must follow everything I said, these are only some good practices I thought appropriated to share, and it's not a finished design, some more negative space and other interesting tricks would be helpful there.

I've kept the main characteristics as the color scheme, typefaces, but used a block-and-lines style. When designing a site it's good to start by thinking about the positioning and the recurrent design solutions (as the lines). However, there is one important thing you must consider above everything when creating a site: The content is the king. It must be accessible, clear, readable and good, the rest is the rest.

NO ADS version (bigger version)
G9873Qu.jpg

ADS version (bigger version)
khhe1qr.jpg

BWFoster78

Myth Weaver
Anyway, Brian, I've made an example not only for you but anyone interested in creating a blog. If the fact I've used your site in my example bothers you just say and I remove it.

Not at all. I appreciate it!

Dude, that's fantastic. I'll forward this as a template to show whoever I hire what I want.

Thanks!

BWFoster78

Myth Weaver
Okay, I'm finally just about ready to move on this thing. Please look at my directions to my eventual developer and make comments (btw, if anyone has any references for someone to do the work, let me know):

1. Create Page for download of my novelette, Abuse of Power. I’ll provide the cover art and a description. The Page should:

• Ask for an email address.
• Allow them to opt out of the newsletter by clicking:
o I already receive your emails
o I am not interested in receiving emails
• Allow them to pick the format they wish to download:
o Pdf
o Nook
o Kindle
• Click “Submit”

Once “Submit” is clicked:

• The system should allow the user to download the requested file type to their computer.
• The system should email [email protected] with the following information:
o Up to date count of number of downloads
o Either email address submitted or indication of choice not to receive emails and why

Page should keep detailed track of where traffic to the Page originated.

2. Modify aesthetics of my site to resemble the picture shown below (The picture included is Nihal's version w/ ads).

The ad at the top right should include:

• Picture showing the cover of my novelette (to be provided)
• Wording: “Download my free novelette”
• Link that accesses the Page created in Step 1 above.

The description box at the bottom should include:

• Author picture (to be provided)
• Text (to be provided)

Both boxes should be fully editable by me. I’d prefer not to add the extra 3 ad spaces at this time.

BWFoster78

Myth Weaver
Anyone who subscribes to my blog: did you get my post today?

I want to make sure that the followers carried through to the new server.

Thanks!

Chilari

Staff
No, no posts from you today show up in my Reader on Wordpress :(

Edit: However, I have just clicked through using the link in my own blog, and your new layout is looking good. Very smooth, very clean.

BWFoster78

Myth Weaver
Thanks for the info. I've got to figure out how to link it.

Argh! Yet more frustration from this switch!

BWFoster78

Myth Weaver
Chilari,

You should be able to see it on your reader now, but, if you had subscribed to emails, that will no longer work unless you follow me from the new site.

My email is also working again.

Thanks!

BWFoster78

Myth Weaver
I had my best day ever for my blog yesterday, 94 page views, and I'm up to 87 followers. I also must say that I'm pretty happy with the switch to a new host. Anything I think I want to do, someone has a plugin that will do it.