• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Hi, all!

Well, been posting here a couple of days, and mostly wanted to take the time to say "thank you!" to everyone for the interesting, enlightening, and entertaining discussion. Some great thinkers here. =)

So, I'm Kevin. Published a couple of short fiction bits back in the 90s, won a regional award for a fantasy short back then. Co-wrote a book Wordware put out. Sorta realized that a career in writing was going to be more than a little rough, and moved on to other things for a while.

Just got back in casually a few years ago, but the whole "getting published" thing is sort of in my blood. So when I started hearing about the whole indie-digital revolution late last summer, it piqued my interest and got me doing research. What I saw made me even more interested, so I've been steadily working at getting my writing back up to professional grade ever since.

First book (urban fantasy, but no vampires!) coming out this month. ;) More to follow.

It's a pretty amazing time to be writing, with all the options open for folks. Exciting stuff. A little scary, too, but exciting!

Anyway, glad to be here, and having fun chatting with you all, so again - thanks!

Kate

Troubadour
Hey Kevin,

I had a giggle at the "no vampires" comment. Ahhh, it's such a shame that vampires have gotten to that embarrassing place. They used to be cool, I remember! Sadly, I'm not sure the Cullens are entirely to blame either.

So are you self publishing in ebook? Are you doing hard copies too?

Yes, this book is going to be self-done, ebook and paper. It's a little short for corporate publishers, so it seems like a good trial run. I've got a longer SF work (in revision, "on hold" for now), that might go either way, although if the fantasy book does well, I'll probably commit the SF book to self publishing as well. More and more folks are saying that in a year, two tops, self publishing will be the new "home of the midlist", and honestly I think that expecting more than that for my writing right now would be a little much. ;)

Amorus

Dreamer
Hi Kevin,
Glad to meet you. I wanted to wish you all the success in the world with your work.

Digital_Fey

Troubadour
Welcome, Kevin! I enjoy reading your insights into the world of publishing, and hope that you'll be part of the forums for a long time to come^^