• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Hi: Writing my first fantasy novel

Maunus

Dreamer
Hi Scribes

I am well into my first fantasy novel at this point, but I am hoping to learn more about writing, and to be able to share it and give and receive friendly critique.

My story is set in a mythologized early Iron Age Ireland, just as the elves are leaving the isle, and human clans are struggling for the high kingship. The protagonists are two half-elven sisters trying find out where they belong.

English is not my first language, but I have written and published in English for many years - though in a very different genre: academic writing.

I am looking forward to reading your work, and to getting to know you.

Maunus

Dreamer
I definitely plan to... eventually. Right now I have a lot of edits planned for the first part of the book, that I am not going to do untill I finish the last part. And I don't think I will put it up untill I finish that second series of edits.

The thing is the story I had planned became too long for a single book, so I had to divide it into three - which meant I had to reorganize the story so that each book has its own narrative arc. So that meant that the first chapters need to be somewhat different from how I envisioned them when I began.

S J Lee

Inkling
Fair enough. Just remember that waiting that long may result in readers pointing out problems that you will find it harder to fix because you have so much already invested in your multiple edits of three books . . . just think about it

Maunus

Dreamer
Yeah, I wouldn't put it off that far. I wouldn't wait untill they are all finished - just untill I have done the edits I have already planned on the first one. I need about four more chapters, before the first one is finished and I start revising. I am really looking forward to hearing comments.