• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Hinting at Pop Culture

Codey Amprim

Staff
Article Team
Not sure if the lingo is pulp or pop, but what are your thoughts on little references to pop culture things in a fantasy setting - presuming it's a serious setting?

I have and do plan on dropping subtle references to our time throughout my WIP, just for humor reasons only. I think as long as it isn't too blunt and obvious, and used incorrectly, it makes the read a bit more enjoyable.

Your thoughts, Mythic Scribes?

SlimShady

Troubadour
Yeah, they're great if used correctly. Most people will get a chuckle out of it if they notice it. It just makes the book so much more worth reading. Not to mention the prospect of re-reading and then noticing a couple of the hints. It makes the book enjoyable IMHO.

JCFarnham

Auror
The comic Schlock Mercenary is about as far future science fiction as you can get, and yet the whole point of it is satire as admitted by creator Howard Tayler.

What I'm saying is people have done it in most case to great success, and you can too, just so long as it doesn't break tone and the 4th wall (unless of course you're writing the kind of metafiction that practically requires wall-breakage.. but thats a different story altogether haha)

Xanados

Maester
The comic Schlock Mercenary is about as far future science fiction as you can get, and yet the whole point of it is satire as admitted by creator Howard Tayler.

What I'm saying is people have done it in most case to great success, and you can too, just so long as it doesn't break tone and the 4th wall (unless of course you're writing the kind of metafiction that practically requires wall-breakage.. but thats a different story altogether haha)
Howard Tayler is awesome. I've been listening to a lot of his words of wisdom on the Writing Excuses podcast.

Also, I echo what everyone else has said.

JCFarnham

Auror
Howard Tayler is awesome. I've been listening to a lot of his words of wisdom on the Writing Excuses podcast.

Also, I echo what everyone else has said.

Whether or not one agrees with his opinions, it may not be traditional book-based authoring but no one can say he isn't a proper writer. I think he's more than proven his dedication to the craft. Hell he's one of the few webcomics that updates daily, with consistent quality and NEVER falls behind. Oh wait AND makes a living off of it.

And now we return you to your regularly schedualed thread! ;)

I am a Beatlemaniac, so when it came time to give my MC some friends, I wrote the dialogue he and his three friends spoke very much in the matter of how the Fabs spoke. Or at least the cartoon Beatles. Lots of sarcasm. I had Dazhi (Ringo), Ertajj (John), Juke (George), and my MC unfortunately has to be Paul. Ha!

Kelise

Maester
I've heard publishers are hesitant to allow it, as it dates your work and could make it harder to read once it's 20 years old, or so.

Depends on how it's used, I suppose.