• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Hiya from Midcoast Maine, Portal to The Aether

Hiya!
I've long been a reader of fantasy works, starting with Tolkien, lo those many years ago and many other authors including H.P. Lovecraft and Steven King, although these latter two authors scared the living bejesus out of me! Read 'The Shining' in one night, up in Hanover, N.H. - my ex laughed like he!! when I cuddled under the covers after finishing THAT work...

Well, time went on, I married, divorced, happily remarried for the past 12 years. I had become a nurse and did that gig for 30 years, until last year when medical issues necessitated retirement. At that point I said "Well he!! NOW what am I supposed to do?"

Well, I wrote a short story about an actual arcane incident that occurred in front of me, my ex and two guests in a creepy old house located near the mouth of the North River in coastal Massachusetts. Hubby liked it and the more I reread it I thought I could do more with THAT particular daemon. I decided it might be the starting point for a fantasy work. I'm currently at work on chapter 13 and have a few other works started with forwards, some with outlines and a one-page quickie that I may post here.

Well, that's me in a partial Nutshell (which my husband would heartily agree with after having worked in mental health for 37 years before he happily retired!)

Carrie

Last edited:

CupofJoe

Myth Weaver
Hail and well met Old Wild Child
Glad to have you here.
We all have our paths to our writing and yours seems far more interesting than mine.
Share what you know and learn what you need.
Leap in the deep end or paddle around, the water is fine and the sharks have been fed.

Thank you for the welcome, Cup of Joe! I'm hoping to find new friends, learn to write better and share what I have - speaking in a literary perspective, of course!

Legendary Sidekick

The HAM'ster
I love the coast of Maine. I usually go to Ogunquit beach, and this summer I took my two older daughters (ages 6 and 4) into the ocean for the first time. It was the best beach day in decades, considering air and water temperature.

Anyway, welcome! Enjoy your retirement days, especially if some of them involve writing stories while sitting by the ocean.

Awww... Thank you all for the kind words! I have several WIP (works in progress?) and hope to post various fragments to get responses and suggestions. The first item, entitled 'Shapeshifter,' will be an urban fantasy that involves elements of espionage and mystery where the main character (MC?) is nonhuman or, not entirely human. I do see some errors in what I posted and will correct those before venturing on with it. I will certainly appreciate any suggestions I receive towards the goal of writing better...

Last edited:
To Legendary Sidekick,
Hiya! Ogunquit is WAY south of where we are - we're up the coast about midway in a town called Belfast, on Penobscot Bay. It's a good whale-watching area with seals and the occasional shark (likely out for a swim after closing their attorney's offices for the day, I guess...) We moved here from CT going on 8 years ago and I wish we could have done so years earlier! The girls might find the water a bit chillier up here as where we are, it's a hop, skip and a boat ride to Nova Scotia and significantly closer than Boston. But a lovelier area, to us, can not be found - small town living without being isolated and reasonable real estate values (no, I don't work for the Chamber of Commerce !). And we do get snow up here... Did I mention snow? Yeah, LOTS of it!