• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Holiday KDP Select Updates

Hey guys!

I noticed the announcement a few days ago that Amazon was doubling the kitty for KDP Select borrows for December 2012, January and February 2013.

Typically, an Amazon Prime borrow enabled you to earn $2-3 depending on total borrows that month and what percent you are. Doubling the kitty means that you will be earning $4-6 (obviously still depending on the number of total borrows, but I would expect arithmetic growth, not geometric, so to be safe you could expect maybe $4.50 from each qualified borrow?).

To put this in perspective, one borrow in November of either my nonfiction math section or my zombie horror short both priced $0.99 would return as much royalty as over 7 sales. For December, January and February, a borrow is worth over 14 sales of these assuming similar rates of borrowing.

Now, I am not trying to convince anyone of anything, but if you didn't have your eBook in KDP Select before because of royalty differential, you can add it now and make up the difference. Note though that they still have to be exclusive so no Nook, Smashwords, Kobo, Sony, Goodreads, etc.

From a mathematical standpoint, I typically recommend KDP Select for people that price their eBooks less than $3 (since 70% of 3 is ~$2.10), but now I'd recommend it for anyone up to $6.50.

I'm strongly considering unpublishing my novel at Nook for the next 3 months.

Hope this is helpful!

P.S. KDP Select is effective for 90 days, so if you start now you can terminate it around March 6.