• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

hooray to magic systems

This is the sketch of the magic system for my flat-world-centre-of-universe setting.

In here, magic does exist, but instead of wizards casting fireballs, clerics divining the future, etc; it can only be used to augment human 'capacity'.

Magic cannot be learnt, and is sole property of Mages (more bellow). However, magic can be used by common people with the aid of artefacts.
An artefact is any object that a Mage had its hand on its making as well as made from demi-magi beings (more further bellow).
When empowered, just by willing, the regular john could gain some inhuman attribute, such as resistance, strength, speed, healing capacity. Once the power of the artefact is fully used, it breaks.
Also, the same power can be transferred to an object (e.g. making a sword cut through metal as if it was butter).

A Mage can use its own power to grant themselves the same superhuman abilities, they can heal others from more severe injuries (a lethal wound would need a very powerful artefact to be healed by non-mages). In doing so, the Mage will slowly get tired.
Alternatively, the Mage could use the power from artefacts, as if they were batteries.

Now, in the world exist seven mages. Never more, never less.
A mage is created, never born.
Mages can be 'killed', but a new one will be made elsewhere, a fully grow and sentient being.
Usually, mages will have human shape, but animals are not unheard of, however, simpler life forms put a cap on the Mage's power in order for the creature to become sentient.

Whenever a Mage is killed but not destroyed, and a new Mage created, impossible natural phenomena will occur (e.g. thunder storm in a clear day) in both locations.
These events will also affect lower life forms, such as animals and some plants, turning them into demi-magi beings.

That are ways to destroy a Mage in a way where a new one is not created. But said act will generate a cataclysm in the region and populate it with demi-magi creatures (coming soon).

Because mages only have the shape of humans (or animals), they don't have the same need.
Injuries will be healed, in the same process a Mage would heal someone else.
Hunger, thirst and sleep are inexistent. Only when the Mage depletes its own power is that hey need to eat, drink, rest.
A Mage could also use an artefact to recover, but this is less efficient.

Demi-Magi Creatures are animals, and in some instancies plants, that gain the same benefits a human would when using an artefact.
Most of them are mildly dangerous to humans. They have bigger stamina, strength, resistance, senses. But can be killed by a spear as well as any other of its kind.
However, demi-magi created when a Mage is 'destroyed' will be far superior and common weapons would be inefficient against them.
This second type of demi-magi creatures, will often prey on one another, absorbing power, increasing it's own, until the vast majority of the power dispersed by the destruction of the Mage is concentrated in one single creature, essentially turning itself into a new Mage.

--
I understand this is not as clear as I would like it to be.
That is a lot of refining to be done but the basic is set.

Also, cuddles for whoever name the anime that served as inspiration for this. :D

Ragnar

Dreamer
Wow, this would make for an interesting, and really bizarre world, haha. The way the magic works reminds me of something I saw in a game, where the magic has a radius and alters the surrounding life forms. It sounds really fascinating actually ;)

What prevents humans from becoming demi-magi in the same way that animals do?
Something to think about it. For that, I thank you.

Now, demi-magi only occur in the death/destruction/creation of a Mage, not by using artefacts.

And since that is a power difference between human mage and animal mage (part of the power is expend in making the animal a sentient creature), the same thing could be applied as why humans don't turn into demi-magi.
That or humans do turn, but they become feral/bestial, only human in shape.

This is an interesting, well-thought-out and unique magic system. I like it.
Thank you. But it really isn't that unique/original. The base stuff (magic for enhancement thing) comes from an anime (and an incredible good anime at that).

Expansion and Tweaks

The initial concept does sound really nice (to me at least), however, I'm having trouble exploring this, it is way too limited.

So, magic would have to be 'learnable'. Kind of.
Besides demi-magi beasts (more on it bellow), certain stones (e.g.: rubies, sapphires) could be crafted into magic devices (aka common artefacts) by masters of magecraft.
These devices are far weaker and less durable than artefacts made by Mages, but are common enough that some professions can rely on them (e.g.: healers).

Proper artefacts will still be made by Mage and will have the same properties as described before. However, the Mage will have to want to craft an object as artefact as oppose to any object.

On the Demi-Magi subject, this creatures will be referred as magic-beasts or mabeasts (name stolen from yet another awesome anime :D )

Any thoughts on these changes?