• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

How about a "Podcasting" Forum Topic?

Dreamhand

Troubadour
One of the most intriguing opportunities to open up for writers in the last 5 years is the use of Podcasting to distribute our work.

There are many writers (Scott Sigler, Tee Morris, Pip Ballantine, and more) who have launched successful and lucrative writing careers through podcasting their work. There are also numerous production companies (like Escape Artists) that accept submissions of short stories and then record and broadcast them to thousands of ardent fans across the Podosphere.

As an audio engineer and vocal performer, I can tell you that this field of artistic endeavor is RICH with opportunities and has many benefits for the established AND burgeoning author:

• The Podosphere is much less crowded than the Kindle Store, making it easier (not easy, but easier) to reach an eager and receptive audience.
  • The podcasting community is very supportive of the authors and producers that add to the medium, actively cross linking and cross promoting to make sure awareness of good work remains high.
  • A successful podcast generates REAL statistics an author can show to a publisher or agent to valid their claims of awesomeness ("Look... I had 3200 downloads of my serialized audio book").
  • There are many talented hobbyists (readers and producers) who would welcome the chance to read or record a good piece of fiction.

Granted, there is no revenue stream unless you break into Audible.com or some such and start selling your audio fiction, but this isn't a money-making venture. Podcasting is about marketing, artistic expression, building a community and an audience, and getting your work out there!

This is a vital and viable option for any author - especially in fantasy and speculative fiction. It seems like a logical step for MythicScribes to help facilitate a discussion that can help writers get their work into the public eye.

What do you guys think?

myrddin173

Maester
I could see adding another forum under Fantasy Media. I don't know if Podcasting is large enough to merit its own forum however. Perhaps an "Audio" forum so it would also include music and other such things...

Devor

Fiery Keeper of the Hat
I sometimes pop my head around Deviant Art and look for inspiration, as the forums stand I would need to post whatever in the Chit Chat forums. I rather think the "Fantasy Media" forums should be "Short Stories, Novels" and "Other Fantasy Media," naming a number of different media, including Film, Games, Art and Podcasts. Fewer forums makes them easier to navigate and keep up with. As it is, I personally find that there's too many of those forums for me to really follow.

Last edited:

Dreamhand

Troubadour
That's cool... maybe I can fire up some threads in the existing forums and see what kind of interest they generate. :)