1. Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us.

How Crying on TikTok Sells Books - The New York Times

Discussion in 'Marketing' started by A. E. Lowan, Mar 21, 2021.

1. A. E. Lowan

A. E. Lowan Forum Mom Leadership

I find this whole thing to be fascinating - and confusing. First it was ads, then book trailers, and now this. What on earth are they watching? My cats drink tea? My book eat a cat? Any thoughts?

How Crying on TikTok Sells Books

2. ThinkerX

ThinkerX Myth Weaver

My Facebook is inundated with book trailers, ranging from crude sketches to still pics to movie trailers. Tick-tock though...

3. Prince of Spires

Prince of Spires Maester

I think your book eating your cat would go viral in a heartbeat... Ater all, the internet was invented for cat-videos.

It's the goldrush of a new platform. There's a few succesful ones which for reasons no one knows take off. And then the rest tries to immitate them and usually fails because it's already been done and misses the point of the original. Still, it's worth checking out if you have the time and energy I guess.

4. Ned Marcus

Ned Marcus Sage

Isn't this just a variation of word of mouth?

5. Devor

Devor Fiery Keeper of the Hat Moderator

Blasted paywall. Can you offer a quick summary for those of us who waste our free monthly NYT articles on regular news?

6. A. E. Lowan

A. E. Lowan Forum Mom Leadership

I'm stuck behind it, too, but the basic idea is that BookTok is working for a lot of authors.

7. Prince of Spires

Prince of Spires Maester

Try opening the link in an incognito browser window*. Not sure if it works here, but that's usually an effective way to get around these kinds of counters for maximum nr of reads.

*To get an incognito or private browser window**, the easiest way is to open your browser and type crtl+shift+N at the same time. Other options are right clicking on the icon on the task bar and selecting the option or clicking on the menu of your browser and selecting the option. If you're stuck on a Mac, I can't help you. My advise then would be to buy a real computer or googling a solution.

**Note: there is nothing magically private about such a window. All it does is ignore all cookies and other browsing history you collected over the years which is good enough to fool news sites but it's not actually private or more secure...

8. Devor

Devor Fiery Keeper of the Hat Moderator

Prince of SpiresPrince of Spires, oh wow, the incognito thing worked. Will take the time to read it today.

Prince of Spires likes this.