• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

How did you get through 'tough' scenes?

Vix

Acolyte
My wording may be off there. However, does anyone else ever have the issue where they feel the story is dragging, and all they can think about is getting to a particular part?

For example: I recently just finished a couple of chapters in my story that I HATED, but felt were necessary. I mean, I think back on them now, and cringe. Most would probably say, "Well why write it then?" But I felt it was essential to do to get a very specific plot point out. To be fair, the plot point was introduced well, but the whole lead and wrap up of it nearly killed me.

Is this something normal for writers to go through, and if so, how does one manage to make it actually worth reading? I can only imagine, if myself as the writer is frustrated with it, then the reader would be furious.

Johnny Cosmo

Inkling
You've really got to ask yourself if it's worth it. You say it's essential, but think about what that says about your story. You need to include characters you hate and don't enjoy writing about? Don't you think, perhaps, that this plot point is not worth making?

Vix

Acolyte
This scene is where the main characters learn an important part of one of their groups past (a very integral part of the plot). It's not that I hate the characters introduced, I just was not a fan of the setting/way they were brought in. I guess I could think of ways to change the scene, but then that would alter everything after it, which is a terrifying thought.

It's happened to me. In fact the chapter I wrote today, I was halfway through it and saying to myself, "This is awful." But it gets me to an important plot point. There are other ways I could get there, and probably one of them will win out when I rewrite this chapter from scratch -- because I will have to rewrite it from scratch, and possibly completely change what happens in the chapter. It was a first pass, and I'm trying to teach myself to not worry too much about how good or bad a first pass is.

Could you change the scene to so that the information you need to get across still comes out, but without the undesired way? Most of the time when I really hate a scene, it's bad. I've learned that things that don't really work for me, usually don't for the reader either. So, maybe you just need to rework the scene(s) to fit what you need, but have more value to the reader as well.

Altering a bad scene and having to deal with the implications is better than leaving it be then having to gut it later...well, in my pov it is.

Kevlar

Troubadour
I run into such lax areas all the time, though they usually only last from a few paragraphs to a couple pages. I just try to soldier through, and if I don't like what I've written I scrap and redo. And again if needed, as many times as necessary. I have one chapter I still need to rework a bit and the current version is the 5th or 6th.

Sometimes I find you just have to have something going on in these tough scenes to get through, even something between the lines. Set a goal beyond advancing the plot and you might actually enjoy writing these 'tough' scenes.

Now I need to learn to take my own advice.

EParadise

Scribe
I have yet to experience any of this, maybe because I am such a plan ahead person. It's probable that I will sometime though. Great advice from all. Thanks.

Dragonie

Scribe
What I would do is: write the scenes I hated, move on to a scene I loved, and then, when I'm feeling good, go back and re-evaluate the hated scenes. Are they really necessary? Is there a way I could make them better? Could I tweak the plot in some way to make those scenes more interesting/less hated/etc.?

Vix

Acolyte
Thanks for all the feedback! I really appreciate the tips :)

I think the moving forward and then going back after I write one I love is what I'll try and do. Maybe then I will be inspired to actually slog through and spruce it up to my liking. Sometimes I wonder if the reader will actually notice the difference, or if it's just me imagining it's poorly written since I have such a distaste for how it is all playing out.

I like what Kevlar said, which I hope I'm interpreting correctly. If you don't like a scene, put something in you do like. My favorite way to get through 'boring' scenes is to have my characters interact in ways that reveal something about them or about their relationship... especially non-verbal interaction that goes on in the background.

For example, one scene I wrote was there for the sole purpose of giving the reader info about the back story via a conversation between a character who knew it (Ffion) and a character who didn't (Kai). They were in a kitchen, preparing a meal, and there were two other characters sitting at the kitchen table (Cadoc and Aderyn). While Ffion finished cooking, Kai set the table. In the background, Aderyn and Cadoc picked at each other (like siblings, even though they're not) until Ffion (the "mom" figure, but the same age as them) made them stop. I was able to tie it into the scene because Kai was watching them (she's a stranger, the others all know each other) and because Ffion kept snapping at them. It didn't take up much 'space,' revealed something about the characters, and, most importantly, was fun for me to write.

Anyway, that's what I do when I can fit those extras in. Good luck!