• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

How do I stick with a project?

Android 18

Acolyte
I've had tons of writing projects over the years, but I've never been able to stick with one. What are some methods I can use to stay focused on my projects?

Caged Maiden

Staff
Article Team
I guess it depends on the reason you jump projects.

I tend to jump projects for two reasons. The first one is that I get frustrated with something like weak plots, confusion over what to do next (especially if the feeling is persistent), or because I can't seem to achieve the quality I expect.

The other reason is when something more exciting comes along.

If it's the latter, I just need to turn it down. If the former, I try to set small goals and remind myself things start out imperfect and get better with more hard work.

I highly recommend Bird by Bird, by Ann Lamott. In it, she talks about "small assignments" which is a way of saying she sets a goal as small as necessary to reach it without getting frustrated. Perhaps a goal-oriented process would help you overcome whatever is causing you to jump projects.

Without understanding the reasons for why you end up switching projects, I can't help you much. But have you tried setting goals? Perhaps set a reasonable deadline for yourself.

Also, having others to keep you motivated and accountable helps, too. I update my friends daily on my progress, as well as posting my word counts in my thread in Writer's Work.

cydare

Minstrel
I have two separate notebooks - one for my main project, and another for whatever idea might come along. Whenever my mind is taken off of what I'm working on by something new and shiny, I jot the shiny down quickly in that second notebook and go back to my original story. It helps put me at ease - it's there, I have it. I can get to it later. You can do the same with a document, or folder, or anything you use for organisational purposes.

The extreme solution...

I've had tons of writing projects over the years, but I've never been able to stick with one. What are some methods I can use to stay focused on my projects?

I am so totally the same way. I've had to work hard to stay focused on my WIP. Several times I've found myself starting on something else, because I had an idea strike me, and in putting down my thoughts about it, I became engrossed in it and next thing I know, I'm ignoring the main project and the new project is taking over. It's nice to have so many ideas, but it's frustrating to not finish projects.

For me it came down to discipline. I had to make the decision that I was going to stick with my WIP until it was finished. For a while, I didn't allow myself to entertain any ideas about any other projects. Something new popped in my head, and I couldn't even consider taking notes about it. I've lost some ideas that way, but I have so many unused ideas, I won't consider the loss of a few more as a big deal.

I've become so engaged with my WIP now, when new ideas pop into my head, they're about the WIP or one of its sequels to come. I do capture those ideas in a file, and they don't divert my focus from working on the WIP. I feel excited about the progress I've made on my WIP, and it's making it much easier to stay focused on it.

Granted, this is an extreme solution. But it's what I had to do. If you're as bad as I am, it might require measures this extreme.

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
Michael's advice is excellent.

It's easy to write. Just about everyone does it. What's difficult is finishing. That's what you need to practice, and of course the only way to practice it is to do it.

I'm not much of a short story writer, but one strong reason for trying your hand at short stories is precisely so that you are more likely to finish.

Finishing means more than perhaps you think it does. Finished means you have not only written THE END, but you have shown your work to others, have made editing changes, have shown your work to professionals or to semi-pros (such as online magazines), got feedback from them, and have made still more editing changes. AND, after all of that, you now leave it alone.

That's how you know you're finished with a story. Novel, short story, poem, they all work the same way in this regard. So, the best and only advice is, finish. Write a complete story, show it ... well, all the above.

Now, if you can do that with five or six stories simultaneously, then great. The only standard to which to hold yourself is: finish it.

C

Chessie

Seeing a project to the end is all about discipline. Some writers work on more than one piece at a time and that seems to be fairly common. Other writers work on only one project at a time. That's common, too. But if you start project A and switch to project B when A gets too hard...now that's not good. Books are hard to write and typically there are several places where writers get stuck (1/4 of the way in, the middle, 3/4 of the way in, etc). Some writers even have anxiety over finishing and typing the end. So everyone is different.

Where do you get stuck? Figure out where your bad habits are first so you can create a game plan to push past them. For example, if you typically get to the middle of your book and it gets hard, and then you switch to start a shiny new project, make a promise to yourself that you will see the original project to the end. And then work at it, every day or as often as you can in order to push through. It's discipline. Easier said than done, right? But if you draft a game plan and stick to it, you'll see the end of your book.

And really, nothing strengthens your writing skills better than finishing a project. It also gives you a sense of empowerment over something very difficult to do. Not everyone can write a book and type the end. :) So make finishing a priority and set the other books aside until you finish one. Maybe just start with short fiction and then progress to longer works, whatever will help you get to the end.

The reasons why I usually end up scrapping a project is 1. It feels to 'big' for me, like I'm not experienced enough to handle such a story 2. I'm frustrated that I can't flesh out the plot 3. I have too many other ideas that I want to explore 4. If I actually end up going to the writing stage, I find that it's just not enjoyable to write and I feel like it's no good I want to explore.

I've rarely ever finished anything I've written and I have little discipline, but I've managed to stick on the same project for almost a year now. In my experience, I just kept tossing ideas around for years until I just found one that 'clicked'. The plot and outline just came out so naturally and I immediately knew and understood the tone and type of story I was going for, and the fact it's incredibly personal to me gives me passion, and that's why I've stuck with it.

I definitely get what you mean. I've got hundreds of incomplete novels on in my documents file because I keep starting new ones. For me, it's because I can't control my imagination, and once I get a new idea, it nags at me until I do something about it. If it's the same way for you, my suggestion would be to let yourself mess with it. You know, maybe write down some notes for it, draw pictures of the characters, write down scenes and lines you know you're going to want to use when you eventually get to it--don't abandon the new idea. Feed into it just enough to get your fix, all the while, working on the project that you've already began until you finish that one then you can move on to the next one or ones or however many you may have. And, if you're disciplined enough or have the time, it might even help to write more than one story at a time. This is how I finally managed to complete my novel after years of starting and stopping others. I learned that, if I abandon my other ideas completely, I not only am going to become completely worn out of working on the same thing, but I'm also going to feel the constant nagging of my other ideas and they'll just keep building up and building up.

Last edited:

K.S. Crooks

Maester
For me it starts with caring about my characters, including the villains. When I care about them I want to see them engage with each other. To see them learn, grow and take on whatever challenges that arise. When I don't get around to writing, finishing or editing I feel like I'm letting my characters down; that they could succeed if I would stop holding them back.
Another option is to take the ideas you think are good for a new story/novel and incorporate them into something you are already working on. I had a dream a few months ago which I first thought would make an excellent separate story and then I realized it would be even better if I placed into my next story when I finish editing my current book.

For me it starts with caring about my characters, including the villains. When I care about them I want to see them engage with each other. To see them learn, grow and take on whatever challenges that arise. When I don't get around to writing, finishing or editing I feel like I'm letting my characters down; that they could succeed if I would stop holding them back.
Another option is to take the ideas you think are good for a new story/novel and incorporate them into something you are already working on. I had a dream a few months ago which I first thought would make an excellent separate story and then I realized it would be even better if I placed into my next story when I finish editing my current book.

I really relate to all of this. Once my characters come alive and I start to care about them, I can't stand not writing them. They're desperate to get onto the page and live. Once your characters are alive, the story comes. Its only a matter of time.

Penpilot

Staff
Article Team
For me, it's as simple as keep working on it. No matter the stumbles, the stress, the whatever that stands in the way, I just keep working on it. Even when I know it isn't quite working, I keep working at it, but at the same time, I'm searching and keeping notes on how I can make it better.

Most of the time there's a click moment, and then, everything falls into place. I understand what needs to stay and what needs to go. That's when I know the final draft is on the horizon. For stories I go through maybe 3-5 major drafts. Within those drafts each scene/chapter may have between approx 5-20+ revisions/tweaks/versions.

For me, its about needing to finish something, to find out what happens at the end. Cause nobody else is going to tell me. And usually, it never turns out exactly how I thought it was going to go.

You have to remember, with novels, it's a marathon, not a sprint. And like marathons, there are long stretches where it's just one foot in front of the other with nothing but endless and sometimes seemingly boring road ahead. You have to be mentally prepared for this, or you're going to be like the marathon runner who forgot to tape up their nipples. :p

A. E. Lowan

Forum Mom
Leadership
Pretty much yes to what everyone's said. Really, it's a matter of discipline. Keeping your metaphorical butt in the chair and finding reasons to remain excited about a project every day.

Starting is easy. Finishing is hard. Pick a project and see it through to the end. Your characters will surprise you and you'll surprise yourself.