• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

How do you create demonyms?

MFreako

Troubadour
This one really baffles me.

Taken straight from Wikipedia: A demonym, also referred to as a gentilic, is a name for a resident of a locality and is usually, though not always, derived from the name of a locality. For example, the demonym for a resident of Britain is Briton; the demonym for a resident of Canada is Canadian.

So how do you know if the name of the people hailing from a certain country/region should end with ish/an/ian/ese etc.? Are there any rules to it? Or do you just go with whatever sounds best?

Svrtnsse

Staff
Article Team
I'd go with what feels good.
There probably is some kind of rule, but it's bound to be the kind of thing that has a truckload of exceptions based on culture and history and all kinds of things, so just wing it. :)

RedAndy

Dreamer
You can probably safely assume that it's okay to go with whatever sounds best. Even if there are rules, they are obscure enough that no one is likely to call you out on it if you get it "wrong."

SeverinR

Vala
Example; Michigander? Is there a Michigooser?

I prefer a duck over a goose. Ever felt a goose?
(if they say no, goose them, then show them quickly a duck as they try to hit you.)

I went straight for the pun in Gracie. It takes place on the island of Aether, the thin, frail inhabitants of which are known as Aetheril. (Conversely, the mainland is Huma, inhabited by Humans.)

Malik

Auror
Don't forget about pejorative demonyms in neighboring areas. One side of my family is from New Hampshire; they call Mainers "maniacs."

Penpilot

Staff
Article Team
I don't think there's a rule. Where I'm from, Vancouver, if memory serves, there was a vote when I was young, choosing between Vancouverian and Vancouverite. So it's probably a mix of tradition and concious choice of what to call people from a region.