• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

How do you keep this under control?

Burst

Scribe
Okay, so when I'm writing a story (or trying to) ideas pop into my head about something totally unrelated to what I'm writing and I go off to write about that idea instead of finishing what I'm writing. I think I have writer adhd or something haha... so how do you guys keep this under control?

T.Allen.Smith

Staff
Ideas come as they will... I usually keep a 2 other documents open while I'm writing just to log ideas.

One document for ideas that pertain to the current story, 1 for ideas that a different.

Penpilot

Staff
Article Team
I wouldn't worry about controlling it. It can be literary gold. But do as T.A.S. said write the ideas down and in detail. I think pretty much every writer has this happen, so it's pretty normal. Some authors will stop writing a novel because they have to write the new short story idea out of their system first.

Steerpike

Felis amatus
Yes, write them down. And if the ideas really strike you and you just have to switch over to working on them, do it while the muse is with you.

JCFarnham

Auror
Well, everyone's already said it... But I'll say it once more just because it's so impotant.

Write all ideas down, no matter when they come.