• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

How do you pay the bills?

From the sounds of it, most of you aren't making much money from writing. What's your day job?

I'm a college student, but I work part-time as an assistant budget analyst for the school dining halls. On a good day, this means matching numbers between two sheets and seeing where they disagree, with the satisfaction of knowing that I've just made life a little more miserable for someone who added the total value of checks into the total value of cash or reported that they served half a customer. On a bad day, this means entering data from invoices into a computer, and then changing it because Ledyard now sells us cilantro for $1.15 a bunch rather than $1.16. Still, I take a certain pride in the accuracy of my work, and I hope to work as a budget analyst full-time once I graduate.

Steerpike

Felis amatus
I did make ends meet for a while doing freelance writing (mostly ghost writing). Non-fiction stuff. Now, I write all day long, so I suppose you could say I make a living writing, but it is all patent applications and responses to the patent office :)

Ireth

Myth Weaver
I'm a college student, currently unemployed, but with luck that will change at least for the summer.

Telcontar

Staff
Programmer and martial arts instructor. Though I did just receive my first royalties from self-publishing at the beginning of the month!

I'm a PHP developer who manages a small team of other developers, working for a kids' entertainment website. Some day, I'll have my own office, where no one can see my screen, and then I'll get a crapton of writing done. ;)

Kelise

Maester
I handle travel and relocations for local Government Education Department. Lovely quiet office (in one of the cities' tallest (comes with ocean views) newest buildings) along with awesome co-workers, to write in all day. 6 weeks paid holidays and $1,000 holiday bonus.

I'd still work here even if I had 6+ books published. Currently worked there for eight years, getting close to my long service leave. They've looked after me well through one or two issues with co-workers, and my bad health - assisting me with working part days on sick leave and such.

Last edited:

Chilari

Staff
I'm a proposals co-ordinator for a construction company. This means I generally show off the company to entities who want hospitals, schools, houses or offices built, and when there aren't any bids in I make sure we've got up-to-date datasheets on completed and in-progress projects so I can use them to show off the company in bids. I've been doing this since January having previously been unemployed for 4 months after finishing uni.

Last edited:

gavintonks

Maester
I have had a long and varied career from shoe designer to store manager, interior design. I do projects and mentor small business, so my clients are varied from the food industry [I had my own restaurant, rather write] My projects have varied from animation for a local pop star and some of his shows. Currently we have a project in the wings on mobile clinics for rural communities, am estate agents training center, I am doing their year accreditation up date and finished their franchise agreement. I adjudicated some business plans for a small business competition, was on TV as a judge for a small business competition, and have work shopped over 2 000 entrepreneurs about their business.My current clients are an airport concessionaire, air flight meals caterer, a health and safety practitioner, and a first aide training coach. A new client runs a successful equine based web portal.

Through my network I have just set up a enzyme based cleaner which does away with industrial chemicals I am very excited about. I also have a dog toilet which uses enzyme powders to eat the waste.So I never really know from day to day what my work will be. but I help my clienteles with their documents and marketing stuff, so I had to learn to write so people would read what they had to sell. It has been a hard slog, and a very difficult last 2 years in recession but things are looking up which I am pleased about.

Caged Maiden

Staff
Article Team
I have the job that never ends. So I'm a stay-at-home mom right now with four wonderful kids, 6, 4, 2, and 8 months, and my husband earns all the money. Luckily he has a decent job, because my own small business (making costumes and specialty clothing) isn't a real big money-maker.