1. Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us.

How do you refer to Necromancy, Alchemy, Divine Magic and the like?

Discussion in 'World Building' started by C. R. Rowenson, Jul 15, 2019.

1. C. R. Rowenson

C. R. Rowenson Scribe

Besides simply calling them the "Types of Magic", how would you refer to elemental magic, necromancy, alchemy, divine magic, etc?
    The best I've come up with so far is "Genres of Magic" but that's not quite right.

2. CupofJoe

CupofJoe Myth Weaver

Specialities, Realms, Spheres, Colours, Fields, Zones, Areas, Wards, Arrondissements, Families, Councils, or just Magic.
    It would depend on the flavour of what you are writing.
    I tend to have just magic and leave it at that. Any speciality is at a personal level and nothing official.

3. Insolent Lad

Insolent Lad Sage

Or call them 'Magics,' e.g. "What is your Magic?" "Oh, Necromancy, but I've dabbled in the other Magics."

4. Miles Lacey

Miles Lacey Sage

'What's your specialty?'
    'Necromancy.'

5. FifthView

FifthView Istar

Schools of magic.

The disciplines of magic. The magic disciplines.

The Arts.

Miles Lacey likes this.
  6. Devor

Devor Fiery Keeper of the Hat Moderator

I just use types of magic. Schools, or branches, or whatever, I think implies a tight connection between the kinds of magic. It reminds me of a D&D wizard who can cast from all of the schools of magic or pick one to specialize. In my setting nobody can use more than one type of magic. They're too different. They don't mix or blend into each other.

Sometimes in my notes I use elements, but I wouldn't put it in the story.

7. Nighty_Knight

Nighty_Knight Dreamer

Also think of different synonyms to genres and you can do the same for magic.
    Examples could be-
    Classes of Sorcery
    Orders of Witchcraft
    Fields of Mystic Practices
    Disciplines of the Occult Arts

8. C. R. Rowenson

C. R. Rowenson Scribe

I'm writing non-fiction trying to explain these groupings to people new to building magic systems. I like to talk about hard and soft magic systems as the core types of magic, but I haven't found the proper terminology to capture these other aspects of magic. I've been trying to figure this out for weeks now. I may just go with "Genres" or "Schools" and be done with it.

9. C. R. Rowenson

C. R. Rowenson Scribe

That's a fair point. My main issue, is I'm trying to identify terminology I can use to distinguish between these types of magic systems and other types of systems such as hard or soft magic.

10. Devor

Devor Fiery Keeper of the Hat Moderator

Ohh. For non fiction try elements, "magics with different sources," or branches of magic. To me they imply three different things though. Elements implies that the different magics have a kind of parity or relationship to each other. Fire to Water, Holy to Demonic, that kind of thing, maybe with one of those charts showing different connections between the 8-or-however-many elements. Sources of magic implies a bigger difference, because the different magics come from different places and therefor follow different rules. And branches implies that all the magics are connected, the "web behind the world" or whatever, but there's different branches through which you can approach it..