• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

How Many Books at One Time?

Janga

Minstrel
I typically only read one book at a time... which sometimes is a problem if I'm reading a long series and am interested in reading something else.

How about you? Do you read multiple books at a time, or are you a one book pony like me?

Last edited:

Steerpike

Felis amatus
I used to have 4 or 5 going at a time, under normal circumstances. That almost doubled when I got my bleedin' Kindle. I love the device, but it is just too easy to switch between books depending on my mood!

I can only read one book at a time, because I want to focus and get immersed in it, although unfortunately I am a really slow reader. Have you heard of the series "The Malazan Book of the Fallen" by Steven Erikson? Really heavy going stuff, took me about 6 months to read the first one, worth it though.

Steerpike

Felis amatus
One of the 8 or 9 I'm reading is book six of the Malazan series. Great stuff. Ian Esselmont's contributions are also good.

I have 10 going at the moment, The Anne Rice books, all my reasearch books, as well as some chick lit. :D

But usualy I only read from one or two a day. I'm not that good to read from them all and keep it straight in my head.

I usually only read one fiction novel at a time, but I have a couple of weekly magazine subscriptions and I read pretty much the entirety of both of them each week, which takes up a lot of reading time. So I usually end up taking from several days to a few weeks to finish each book. I also don't read as much as I used to because a lot of the leisure time I formerly used for reading, I now use for writing.

aderyn

Scribe
I read one main novel at a time, but then I always have some nonfiction on the go as well as a bunch of blogs.

I can usually do about 4 at a time at most. I almost never read one book at a time, just because I can't help reading snippets of books and keep going when I get hooked! The Kindle definitely doesn't help with this... xD

Telcontar

Staff
I try to only be reading one novel at a time, but I usually have something like a collection of short stories or, currently, The Meditations of Marcus Aurelius to read in the short times. Also, my nook is awesome for being able to read on the go.

9 books at a time? Heh. I'd start getting stories mixed up.

Damien

Dreamer
Currently I am reading three at one time. I have been known to read many more than that. If I happen to pick it up, and find it interesting, it will get added to whatever I am already reading.