• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

How Much Bloodshed?

Ankari

Hero Breaker
As I renew my focus on my WIP, I realized that most of my chapters have physical conflict in them. Of the completed work, I'd say 65% of the chapters have violence. What is your threshold to such things? Looking over the outline, I'd say 45 to 50% of the chapters will have physical confrontations.

Steerpike

Felis amatus
I don't have a threshold. If the authors handles it well and keeps me engaged, I'll read a book that has physical violence throughout all chapters. Likewise, if the author keeps me engaged in the story, I'll read a book that never has a single instance of physical violence. I don't think 65% is over the top for fantasy literature. Depending on how graphic it is, you may cross a line with respect to some readers.

T.Allen.Smith

Staff
No thresholds necessary. It the physicality, or lack thereof, fits the story then it doesn't matter how much, or little, violence exists. Most story elements, like the amount of violence, aren't crucial. As long as tension is ramping and I'm into the characters (making me care about them) I'll keep reading.

For me its fine, provided obviously the violence and/or gore fits with the storyline. Its like my attitude to films, sometimes you watch a film and its just tedious because the violence, action and gore usurps the story for priority. I don't think a serious writer like yourself would have that problem though, and as for gory descriptions in general I don't mind them.

Alex97

Troubadour
As long as the story progresses and develops I don't have a problem with that amount of violence. If handled well it won't become meaningless or repetitive. The extensive violence could make the rare moments of peace seem particularly significant as opposed to most stories where the violent moments are the most crucial to the plot.

ThinkerX

Myth Weaver
As much violence as required to properly tell the story.

I will note, though, there is 'violence' and then there is 'graphic' or 'gory' violence. A lot of the publishers I was looking at frown on the graphic/gory stuff.

I agree with ThinkerX and have begun cutting back how graphic my work is. Don't get me wrong it's still very violent but I don't go onto graphic detail about how the violence is. it might turn off readers and if you are describing a war scene and there are people killing each other than I find it unnecessary to describe the violence in detail. The reader will already assume there well be horrific bloodshed unless they are having a war with flowers and marshmallows.

I also think if you have to add some very violent scenes to do so sparingly. If most of your book is violent but Not extremely graphic and then during a suspenseful and climactic scene you add a little more graphic nature than usual then it might make that scene stand out, but I wouldn't suggest overdoing it. After awhile pointless violence trends to be boring. I'm still amazed they made as many SAW films as they did.

Frequency of violence should depend on the situation--what's plausible for these characters' circumstances? Gruesomeness of violence should depend on the perspective characters--how much are they willing to think about what they've seen? (A character like Dexter Morgan may talk at length about blood and guts, whereas a character like Huckleberry Finn may refuse to even think about what he's seen.)

As long as it isn't marketed as a romance or something (not saying it can't have romantic elements), I don't think you have to worry about it.

I suppose it's only a problem if it interfers with your ability to tell a good story.

My current project only has four or five fights, but I really can't cram any more violence into this book.

My first published novel had a fight almost every chapter (sometimes more than one). So there were 20+ fights in there. Lemme' see if I can list them off the top of my head:
elves, elementalists, skeletons, primal wolves, ex-knight, bandits, more bandits, bandit leader, "the Slaughterer", ceratops, giant, orcs, cultists, more cultists, minotaur, wyverns, protochimera, demon construct, more demon constructs, demon rd 1, bandits with demon constructs, demon rd 2, elves, more elves, head elf.

So that's 24 if I got them all. Note: it's in the action category :p

Helen

Inkling
As I renew my focus on my WIP, I realized that most of my chapters have physical conflict in them. Of the completed work, I'd say 65% of the chapters have violence. What is your threshold to such things? Looking over the outline, I'd say 45 to 50% of the chapters will have physical confrontations.

Fine if the story works.