1. Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us.

How much Hard Drive space do you use on your Laptop?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by v_legolas_gleaf, Oct 9, 2019.

Tags:

What type of hard drive do you use?

This poll will close on Oct 23, 2019 at 1:56 AM.
  1. SSD (Solid State Drive)

72.7%
  2. HDD (Hard Disk Drive)

63.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. v_legolas_gleaf

v_legolas_gleaf Scribe

Be it SSD (Solid State Drive) or conventional "slower" Hard Disk Drives, how much space do you normally use / require for writing your novel? 128 GB? 256 GB? 512 GB? 1 TB (1000 GB) ?

2. CupofJoe

CupofJoe Myth Weaver

HDDs may be lower but there is far more chance of data recovery if it dies. From experience, when a SDD dies, it is dead. At work we have had so many SDDs fail we now buy an external HDD for each Laptop with an SSD and backup software. In theory it means there is a backup in case of sudden failure. We still can't make research do the backup but we have given them the tools.
    Personally, my laptop has a 512Gb HDD. It isn't as light or as fast to boot as something with an SSD but those are not my priority.

FifthView likes this.
  3. FifthView

FifthView Istar

Yeah, I'm always leery of SSDs, but I've never known how much this is superstition, how much the technology may have improved since I first read cautionary tales; added to that, the cost-storage ratio has left me reluctant to use SSD storage.

But I have my Scrivener connected to Dropbox, the free level, and everything gets backed up there, so...? I worry about losing access to Dropbox too, heh. I do have an external HDD for backups, but I don't use it regularly for my writing at this point. Basically, it's on auto-backup for my Documents folder; but Scrivener isn't currently backing up to my Documents folder, only to Dropbox, so I have to manually backup my writing to Documents from time to time. Which I forget to do, from time to time, heh.

As for storage...text is a relatively small footprint, compared to images and video (and games and software), so I don't worry about it too much. Sometimes I use other media in my Scrivener files (like images of characters I've created), but not enough to worry so much about storage capacity.

4. Vaporo

Vaporo Sage

Yeah, I have both an SSD and a HDD, but the SSD is small and I try to keep as much as possible on the disk. Which is a little but annoying at times, since everything defaults to the C drive.

5. MrNybble

MrNybble Troubadour

I have three laptops. One having the HDD, while the other two are just glorified tablets with keyboards. There is a NAS (Network attached storage) in the house that has two 256GB SSDs running as a RAID1 with weekly save states. (Clone of each other). That along with cloud backups make sure I don't lose stuff. Even if my house gets burned down, flooded, tornado tossed, or struck by a meteor, I still have my info somewhere.

I used to be a computer admin in my last job. Redundancy is key to keep from losing stuff. Be it time or information.

Vaporo likes this.
  6. Penpilot

Penpilot Staff Article Team

The foot print for my writing is pretty small. Last time I did a major back up, the folder containing all my writing from the beginning of time was around 250 megs. This contains multiple drafts and stuff I download for research and reference such as pics and web pages.

One scrivener novel is I believe around one meg.

v_legolas_gleaf likes this.
  7. Yora

Yora Sage

I used to be a computer kid and build my own computers. Now I don't even understand the question.

My notebook is silver and says Sony on it.

v_legolas_gleaf and CupofJoe like this.
  8. CupofJoe

CupofJoe Myth Weaver

This me! Except mine is a Sparkling Ruby Red and has ASUS on the lid. And yes I bought it because I liked the colour.

9. skip.knox

skip.knox toujours gai, archie Moderator

Yours sparkles? *jealous*

10. A. E. Lowan

A. E. Lowan Staff Leadership

My current laptop is the backup computer, but my desktop has a SSD (and I need a second one because I'm a gamer). I save everything both to the SSD and to the Cloud, of which the Documents folder only takes up about 5GB. Thank goodness for the Cloud, though. It's gotten me seamlessly through not one but two computer crashes, both with HDD. I hope my SSD lasts because I'm now addicted to the speed of the thing. :D

11. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Moderator

I have an SSD. I don't use a lot of space for my writing--the file sizes are not huge. I think the SSD is only 128 Gig. The files are also backed up to the cloud.

12. CupofJoe

CupofJoe Myth Weaver

Like a slipper from the land of Oz...

13. v_legolas_gleaf

v_legolas_gleaf Scribe

That is quite informative! That's not even half a gigabyte! Does Scrivener compress the files or something before storing them on the hard drive?

14. v_legolas_gleaf

v_legolas_gleaf Scribe

I still am a computer kid but I miss the days where one could buy their own components and build their own pc from scratch. Now though, laptops have all but killed off desktops!

And laptops cannot be self-assembled in a chassis the same as desktops used to be! They are all pre-fabricated on the other side of the world and then imported into whichever country you are in. Same with tablets.

I think the fun is gone in being a computer nerd as ANYONE these days can have the latest technology just by paying a hefty amount (either lumpsum or in EMIs) so anyone who's got money to burn can be a computer nerd with the latest toys!

15. Steerpike

I don’t think it compresses the files. The text is save in RTF, I believe, and that doesn’t take up a lot of space. The rest of the info in the .scriv file is just there to tell Scrovener how to handle the text.

16. A. E. Lowan

A. E. Lowan Staff Leadership

20190911_011104.jpg Mah bebe. It's a Skytech Archangel gaming computer named "Morningstar" and I write books on it. I maintain that the desktop isn't dead. It's just waiting for your laptop to die, which it will. I have a big 15 inch HP with a bum hard drive (going to replace it soon) that will attest to just that. I'll never rely on just a lappie again for just that reason. This monster in the corner can be totally upgraded from mother board on down, can take on multiple hard drives, and never skip a step.

17. ThinkerX

ThinkerX Myth Weaver

No laptop here - old school desktop, components connected by a tangle of cables.

Have thought the next computer might be a laptop, though, should I find one cheap and durable enough...

18. Vaporo

Vaporo Sage

Remember, no matter how good of a laptop you get, you will always be able to get a better desktop for cheaper. Plus, desktops are easier to upgrade.

I have a laptop right now, since I need something mobile for college. However, eventually I hope to have a desktop as my "main" machine, and then just have a cheap word processor laptop that I can drag around with me.

19. Steerpike

Thing is, I don’t have one place that I write. I may write a bit during lunch at work, I write very often at a locally-owned coffee shop I frequent. I travel and will write in hotels. I have a good desktop but it is mostly a gaming rig.

20. pmmg

pmmg Auror

yeah, but its harder to throw your desktop across the room when you lose at team fortress...

v_legolas_gleaf and A. E. Lowan like this.