1. Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us.

How should I create a Dancing language (Danguage)

Discussion in 'Writing Discussions' started by Gruden, Apr 1, 2021.

1. Gruden

Gruden Scribe

The legs are the attitude and the tone of the person's feels

Which parts of the body should be theses: Subjunctive or Interrogative or Indicative.

2. A. E. Lowan

A. E. Lowan Forum Mom Leadership

This is fascinating, but I think maybe a little too far from shore for most of us here at Scribes, which is unusual. Let me introduce you to the world of conlang. This book is an excellent launching off point and has links to conlang sites dedicated to discussing and answering questions like yours.

https://www.amazon.com/Art-Language-Invention-Horse-Lords-World-Building-ebook/dp/B00TY3ZMVG/

Honestly, I've studied language and literature for decades, and you lost me at subjunctive. Hopefully the conlang hobbyists will be better able to assist you. Good luck!

3. Rosemary Tea

Rosemary Tea Troubadour

Sounds like a form of sign language. Which doesn't have the kind of grammatical rules you're thinking of. In sign, facial expressions make for a question (interrogative), but it's the hands that form the words. It's not a very far stretch from signing with the hands to using the whole body. Every word in your language could be a dance gesture.

Gruden likes this.
  4. Gruden

Gruden Scribe

Thanks

I'm trying to figuring what should the moves means:
    Chest movements, Arm movements, Belly/stomach movements, Leg movements, Hand movements, and Foot movements.

I'm also trying use some animals dances as well or their stumping.

5. A. E. Lowan

I've been thinking about this a bit, and you might also want to spend some time researching East Asian dance traditions (kabuki, etc.), and maybe Polynesian. From what I've heard, there is a great deal of storytelling packed into very stylized and symbolic sets of movements.

6. Gruden

Gruden Scribe

Thanks.

In my dancing language, I want this hand sign to mean Christianity:
    [​IMG]

This means Atheist:
    [​IMG]

Islam:
    [​IMG]

Those who believe in Aliens:
    [​IMG]

I'm not sure what these signs:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 3, 2021
  7. A. E. Lowan

Rose is right, you really are leaning more toward a form of sign language, which can and does involve body movements along with the hands.

Gruden likes this.
  8. Gruden

Gruden Scribe

okay thanks.

What would you guys say what should be aggression positions:

Here's two:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

9. Karlin

Karlin Dreamer

The Maori use facial expressions extensively:

A. E. Lowan likes this.
  10. skip.knox

skip.knox toujours gai, archie Moderator

You are also going to have to figure out how to render such things into words. For example, try describing any three of those hand signs. Then try describing dance positions for aggression and passivity or surrender.

You might also want to think about the context for this dance language. Are the people able to communicate verbally as well? Or is dance the only means of communication? Communicating something like "ontology recapitulates phylogeny" is going to be a bit difficult! Or even something like "you're five days past due, I'm gonna hafta break your knees."

OTOH, the language might be formalized and ritualized, used only in certain contexts; in which case, see above.

Finally, how do you see using this in the context of a story? How would "dance language" drive plot or character development?

A. E. Lowan likes this.