• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

How to lay out your writings.

I now have 7 chapters, over 12 k words and I am now wondering how to lay it out to look like a book. i.e leave the spaces for the drawings and sketches that I want at certain places. How to produce a cover ext.

JCFarnham

Auror
There are all kinds of programs made specifically to help writers in this situation, mainly because Publisher is more or less useless for what most writers want (even if they don't know it yet, perhaps).

Look into programs like Scrivener and yWriter. You'll thank me. :D

You were right JCFarnham I am thanking you. I have just downloaded yWriter and as far as I can tell at this time it looks great. I have printed of Scrivener info to read later and that also looks good. I will let you know how I find them.

JCFarnham

Auror
You were right JCFarnham I am thanking you. I have just downloaded yWriter and as far as I can tell at this time it looks great. I have printed of Scrivener info to read later and that also looks good. I will let you know how I find them.

I'm not sure how close yWriter is to Scrivener, but as a free option you can't go that far wrong with it I don't think.

Scrivener is however my no. 1 choice for this purpose. It just feels better to me. That being said I would never have brought it if I hadn't completed Nanowrimo and gotten the "winner's discount". If you can shell out for it, it's worth it, if not then yWriter does almost the same thing.

That being said there are more of these programs out there if you want to hunt them down :) those are the only two I really have experience/know of.

Devor

Fiery Keeper of the Hat
The super-expensive professional one is Adobe InDesign. Don't go out and get it, I only mention it to make the answer more complete.

Have fooled around on Google. found AuthorHouse I had a look. seemed OK they offered a free download called a Publishing Guide. so I requested it. Fool I'v had three phone call and two e-mails so far . they want to known about my book and do i want them to publish for me. Check out there prices on the web site. I had a shock.

granddad gnome said:
Have fooled around on Google. found AuthorHouse I had a look. seemed OK they offered a free download called a Publishing Guide. so I requested it. Fool I'v had three phone call and two e-mails so far . they want to known about my book and do i want them to publish for me. Check out there prices on the web site. I had a shock.

They look like a vanity publisher. That's one sector of the publishing industry that I hope dies off soon.

Oh, for extra stuff, check out Scribus, (scribus.net). It is a desktop publishing package that is also free.

Sent from my Blade using Forum Runner