• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

How to start out of Ash

Phoenix

Troubadour
Well in my writing life as of right now, I have nothing. This can be good and bad. Bad because I simply haven't stated (well I failed at starting) yet. What's the good news? I can start anywhere I want. So right now I got a plain of ash. What to make out of it. Well I have an idea. I'm hoping to write an Epic Fantasy series (not sure how long). I want the world to be big with people, culture, creatures, and story. To do this I will first write a collection of short stories, and light novels. In this way I will build the world for me and the reader. Does this sound like a good idea?

TWErvin2

Auror
It depends on your goal(s) with the series. Short stories, you can sell them individually to markets if they prove good enough and stand alone. Most publishers don't publish single author collections. The short stories might enable you to improve your skills and flesh out your world, although writing short fiction has many differences when compared to writing novel length. You can always self-publish, but that means in many ways, more work on getting word out about your works.

If you intend to write a series, and hope for a publisher to pick it up, it's generally best to write a stand alone novel with room and direction for the next. What I mean by stand alone is that the novel has a complete story arc and is a satisfying read in itself. Not every 'question' needs to be answered, but it can't end as a cliff hanger. Of course, there are exceptions. But I am also suggesting what has worked for me. Again, if you self-publish, you're your own publisher and there isn't any vetting, so ending a novel (how it ends) and what it contains (including stand alone or not) is completely up to you, the author.

That's my two cents.

Good luck as you build up from your barren ash landscape.

Terry

Phoenix

Troubadour
Thanks for your input. Yeah I guess at the very least it would help me understand my own world. I thought that writing multiple short stories then combining them into one work. I guess I could publish my first novel, then come out with that. Either way works I guess. Anyone else have any comments?

Well what I am wanting to do is maybe write a series of short stories and or light novels that will build up my writing skills, I don't really care if they get published. I think you should start writing a series of short stories and stuff in a non-original world. (That's what I'm doing) It will get you used to writing in a world and it will improve your skills. OR you could always writer fan fiction.

Just giving my input, even though that prologue I posted wasn't great, I still am going to absorb the criticism and continue writing in the world with the character, kind of like how they did with Conan.

Phoenix

Troubadour
I really don't care if it get published either. Guess I should of mention. Getting prepared to write my culture, people, and general world is why i wish to write these. Why not get better at writing by not being in your own world?

By studying another author's world, their culture, their creatures, you may get a better understanding of how to exactly create your own. It's rather hard to create a culture, I've tried several times with little success, and even harder for religion, but if you write in someone else's world, and you study it and actually grasp the concept of it, you will write more heart felt. You will understand more. It's hard to explain, but do you get it? :p

Phoenix

Troubadour
Wow, I really didn't think of that. I guess we both made good points. It depends on the writer himself. Thanks for the info man.