• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Howdy from North Carolina

OK, I'm originally from New Jersey, but howdy anyway. I'm a fantasy writer, techie, and rural broadband advocate who used to race horses. It's nice to meet you all.

CupofJoe

Myth Weaver
Welcome BrianRathbone
It's nice to meet you to.
Can I be so bold as to ask what form of horse racing?
Find a place by the fire, and the stew is rather good today, if your hungry...

Thanks!

Welcome BrianRathbone
It's nice to meet you to.
Can I be so bold as to ask what form of horse racing?
Find a place by the fire, and the stew is rather good today, if your hungry...

Thanks, CupofJoe. I trained standardbred racehorses on the family farm for many years. I could have gone pro but decided my passions were elsewhere. I eventually got the chance to do what I really wanted, which was to write.

I wrote a short story about learning to train horses, and there are some great old racing pictures in this post:

The Quiet Giant | Fantasy Fiction - Brian Rathbone.com

If you give it a read, I'd love to know what you think. Thanks!

Brian

I was magical.

I don't think standardbred racing is all that common in the UK.
I do like you story. It evokes those feelings that I think every child has, the time and place where they grow up. It sounds very special.

I didn't always know it, but it was a magical thing growing up on a working horse farm. Standardbred racing is not all that widespread in the US either, but there are some areas where it is more prevalent, like the northeast US.

Thanks for checking out the story!

DaveO

Hello Brian, I have been following your Twitter feed for a few months, and watching for dragons. I'm also in NC and looking forward to reading your work.

David