• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Hunger Games

Rikilamaro

Inkling
Read the books, thought they were decent.

To see the movie or not to see the movie is the question now. Opinions?

Kelise

Maester
The movie is the closest book-to-movie adaption I've ever seen.

Premise is basically Battle Royale, if you've heard of that. Or apparently Stephen King's 'The Long Walk' (which I haven't read, so I can't confirm). Youths are thrown into an arena where they have to kill each other to survive - last one standing gets to go home again. They have to be under 18 years old and are randomly selected, get a week or two to train and that's it.

Rikilamaro

Inkling
No, it's more a punishment of the rebellious states that tried to break apart from the almighty Capitol. They have these games every year and take a boy and girl from each state (or district) ages 12-18 to fight.

The movie was pretty good. I started reading the book this morning and I'm about halfway through it now. The movie hewed pretty close, although unless you're a big fan of Jennifer Lawrence I would recommend just reading the book instead.

Kelise

Maester
And the Hunger Games is pretty much their version of reality tv. It's a massive event for them, people bet on it and cheer on their district and so on.

Steerpike

Felis amatus
I liked the book well enough, though never read the sequels.

I do not like the choice of actress for Katniss. She doesn't seem to fit the part, and I think that would hamper my enjoyment of the movie somewhat.

topazfire

Minstrel
I read the books around Christmas and went to an imax midnight opening. I loved the movie but have heard that some people who did not read the book had a hard time following along.

There is, of course, more detail in the book, but they stayed very close, especially since the author was one of the screenwriters. I loved Jennifer Lawrence in the role. I had only seen her in X-men first class, but she is an Oscar nominee for Winter's Bone. The girl can act.

The main comment I heard about her was that her figure was 'too good'. Seriously!? It was nice to see a real woman's body on the screen despite the fact that the character was supposed to be near starved at the beginning (hence all of the food they were being given to eat - which was not actually explained in the movie).

The book was more graphic and had the movie stayed completely faithful, it might not have been given a pg13 rating - it would have been up over 14A likely.

Anyways, loved it, go see it, and read the book if you are confused after.

KellyB

Minstrel
I saw the movie last night with my daughter. I had not read the book and was able to understand the movie, it wasn't confusing to me at all. It was a good movie.

On the way home from the movie, we stopped at the book store and got the book, so I will be reading it soon.

Kelise

Maester
I liked the book well enough, though never read the sequels.

I do not like the choice of actress for Katniss. She doesn't seem to fit the part, and I think that would hamper my enjoyment of the movie somewhat.

I think she did a really good job of it, actually. It was always going to be hard for whoever acted Katiss as we get to know her through her own thoughts (first person narrative, etc) but thankfully the actress manages to get a lot of it told through her reactions and facial expressions. I enjoyed her as Katniss a load better than as Raven in X-men First Class.

I had honestly never heard of the Hunger Games until I saw advertisement for the movie. I suppose that goes to show how out of touch I've been in recent years.

To be honest, it doesn't sound like the kind of story I'd enjoy. There is something about the who "an oppressive goverment is needlessly cruel to random citizens for ridiculous reasons" premise I just can't stand.

Rikilamaro

Inkling
I had honestly never heard of the Hunger Games until I saw advertisement for the movie. I suppose that goes to show how out of touch I've been in recent years.

To be honest, it doesn't sound like the kind of story I'd enjoy. There is something about the who "an oppressive goverment is needlessly cruel to random citizens for ridiculous reasons" premise I just can't stand.

I'm not as excited about it as most of my friends, but it's great conversation fodder.

What makes you think the reasons are ridiculous? They're explained in the story. What Panem does to its citizens is pretty awful, and still a lot less bad than things that have been done in the real world by real governments.