• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

I Haven't Written Anything in Two Weeks

kayd_mon

Sage
Stopped in the middle of a chapter with a small case of writer's block, and I haven't gone back yet. I'm working with some critique partners on my story, and I can't say I'm encouraged. I'm finding difficulty motivating myself...

How does everyone deal with motivation deficiencies?

Addison

Auror
Sometimes its the imagination's way of telling you to ease off. I find it useful to do other writing exercises, or write other stories (or at least begin them) or catch up with my life.

But if you find yourself doing things you wouldn't normally do or noticing/distracted by things that you normally wouldn't, then you're procrastinating. At this point I'm not sure if there's an actual cure. You might do what Billy Crystal did in "Throw Momma From the Train". But if you are procrastinating then try doing something you wouldn't normally do. Like go clubbing, drink coffee (if you don't already), white water raft, exercise, paint whatever. Doing something outside of yourself, your rhythm. This usually helps me. Whether or not I'm procrastinating.

Another way, if you're just stuck, is read over everything you've written.

ecdavis

Troubadour
Sometimes looking at 'stuff' will break a writer's block. Artwork, nature, or just sitting at a cafe and watching people. It might give you something different to think about, and I think sometimes that is the problem; you get so wrapped up in your plot line that your mind just goes numb. I had a block of about a month when I was writing my first book. What I did was took an interest in 3D rendering programs and I spent that month horsing around with one. When I began rendering characters, something clicked back in place and I was able to write again.

Also, you might try looking at your chapter where you are having the block from a different perspective. What would the adversary in this chapter see and think? Or maybe try describing the scene as if it were going in a history type of book. I'm not saying to put these alternate types into your book, only that by looking at the scene from a different angle, sometimes that will free up your mind to 'see' it again.

I find the only sort of block I ever get is the block that prevents me from actually opening up the story (I believe it's called procrastination, or maybe, ADHD). Once you force yourself to start writing, you usually start writing. Now, you might write crap for a little while until you're revved up, but then you should be good to go.

At least, that's my experiences. Good luck!

A. E. Lowan

Forum Mom
Leadership
Are you having conflict issues? Yes, I know conflict is my thing, but conflict really does equal story. What do your characters want? Are you giving it to them too soon? Are their desires too much in agreement? Remember, people are complicated and often want things that are diametrically opposed to each other. For example, I am fat. I love chocolate. I want to loose weight, but I have white chocolate ON MY DESK. See my conflict? Do I eat the chocolate, satisfying my id but making myself feel worse about my self image, or do I throw away my chocolate, working towards my goal of weight lose but not satisfying my short turn and more pleasurable goal of eating the tasty chocolate. I did mention it was WHITE chocolate, right?

Lack of conflict/lack of excitement is usually what stops me in the middle of a chapter. It's usually a flag that gets thrown down saying "Wait! Something is wrong here!" Figure out where you went wrong, and you'll be back off to the races.

kayd_mon

Sage
Well, where I'm at there is plenty of conflict. I first got stuck in the scene, and I couldn't get the dialogue to flow easily. Maybe one of the reasons is I haven't put enough thought into the character with whom my main character is speaking.

ThinkerX

Myth Weaver
Well, where I'm at there is plenty of conflict. I first got stuck in the scene, and I couldn't get the dialogue to flow easily. Maybe one of the reasons is I haven't put enough thought into the character with whom my main character is speaking.

Do you know the consequences of this scene? If so, turn off the computer and sit down with a notebook and pen, and block it out.

I was going to make the same point as ThinkerX. You have to craft each scene in terms of what it needs to achieve from a storytelling perspective. Make yourself a plot map with every scene included and what is happening plotwise, maybe also some characterisation notes, and you'll find the scene writes itself when you go into it knowing where you have to end up.

brokethepoint

Troubadour
Read a bad book in the genre you are writing and think to yourself I can do better then that. :)

Take a sheet of paper and just start writing down ideas, no matter how bizarre they seem. I did that and it helped flesh out an area that needed something.

Butterfly

Auror
Usually when I get stuck or sluggish, it means something is wrong. In my case it's usually means one of several things...

1. I have to spend some extra time developing ideas, or characters.

2. Someone is missing, either someone has wandered out of the scene and needs to be brought back in, or...

3. Someone new is needed for guidance - usually a superior officer shouting about something.

4. I'm writing from the wrong POV character. (Happens more often than I would like).

5. Something else has gone wrong and the characters are doing something they shouldn't. I usually notice then when several characters gang up on the one making the wrong move to give him advice, and try to guide him the right way. Usually needs rewriting as he's been bounced on the head with an idiot ball. (It's a problem when I want to stick to the plan, and means the plan is wrong, so replanning is needed) - [Been doing this one for three weeks now].

Last edited:

kayd_mon

Sage
Thanks for all the input so far.

@thinker x

I do know the consequences - I have my story pretty well outlined. But that gives me an idea to literally draw it, graphic novel style. Maybe that will help open up my imagination.

@brokethepoint

Haha any suggestions?

brokethepoint

Troubadour
The character you are having problems with, is it going to be a main character or a minor character?

I think this is important for how much you flesh out the character. I often will play the scene over and over in my head to get the interaction down.

I understand exactly where you are at, I have a couple characters that I still need to flesh out their personality so that I know exactly how they will talk and respond to situations.

If you want to go over they scene, I can throw all kinds of ideas at ya :)

A. E. Lowan

Forum Mom
Leadership
Another thing I was thinking about adding to this... sometimes you just need a brain break. Mine often involves something as simple as a slinky, or as long as playing Fable all the way through. I, too, have had entire weeks where the writing just does not flow - just ask my writing partner who just yesterday threatened to create a forum profile for the express purpose of dishing on all my procrastinating dirt on me! Evil wench I married!

Look, don't fret. Give yourself some slack. Sometimes you need to let the engines cool a little (but not for too long)and then get back into the game!

kayd_mon

Sage
The character is not a main character, but the lover of the main character. He is reunited with her, briefly (before the proverbial crap hits the fan). I know what I want out of this scene, I know where I want it to go, but I am just stuck with the dialogue. I think it will help to "draw" stuff like I said before, snd also to think about this character more. She is important, though she doesn't really appear much in the book. I need to get into her head a bit to write her dialogue, but it just hasn't happened yet.

kayd_mon

Sage
He's going to tell her how he's figured out how to overcome a major outside obstacle in their relationship.

She is important, though she doesn't really appear much in the book.

That's never a good sign. (Unless it's Tolkien and you think he had a secret agenda of getting Liv Tyler cast one day.)

It may be you've neglected her plots and you're starting to realize that--or to realize that you don't need her in the story at all. Of course we don't know how "important" or how "doesn't appear much" she really is in the story, but if those are how you describe her it may mean that's the problem.

A. E. Lowan

Forum Mom
Leadership
Oh, getting LIV Tyler cast is ALWAYS a virtuous goal.

And a slinky. ALL writers needs a slinky. The metal ones that make that slinky noise.

I would have thought the lover of the main character is a very important character indeed. Even if not featuring in many scenes, such a character must have enormous impact - playing on the MC's mind or influencing their behaviour somehow.

Addison

Auror
There is no such thing as an un-important character. Each character serves some sort of purpose, however direct or subtle, to the hero themself or the surroundings. But if you have two or more side characters who pretty much do the same thing then you might want to squash them into one.