• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

I need to buy an AC Unit

I live in the upstairs loft in my house and it gets crazy hot up there, and it's not even summer. It's always in direct sunlight too. I have a small, oscillating fan and I usually leave it on all the time. It feels very nice when I have it blowing right on me but the room is still hot and I am kind of confined to that one space now.

So I need to get an AC unit and I am having a hard time debating on getting a window unit or a portable unit (the portable ones sit on the ground, are tall, and have a hose-pump that blows the hot air outside. The window models are a lot cheaper but I think I am going to get a portable one. Just wanted to know if anyone had any experience with this. There's one at home depot for $279.00 that I might get but I will have to do more research.

Mr. Steve

Scribe
Portable units need to be drained periodically (and usually at the most inopportune times), because they can't drain outside the window unlike an installed window unit. Also, because all of their workings are inside, they are more sensitive to indoor dust (which in turn helps the inner workings accumulate more condensation, requiring more frequent draining.) My wife and I bought a portable AC for our apartment after we had our daughter; the on-site manager assured us that portable units were permitted, but we can't install a window unit. Fine, says we, except it appears that most of the tenants now have window units, and no one has said anything.

Basically, the only thing I have to recommend a portable over window unit is, is it a unit you are willing to leave behind if and when you move if you can't remove it without damaging the building?