• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

I probably should have prepared something earlier...

So...how to begin? That's always been the problem when faced with a blank page, hasn't it?

Maybe I should just dive in and damn the torpedoes, so to speak.

The name's Vincent, James Vincent, licence to kill...oh no, wait, I'm confusing movies with real life again.

Scratch the above. The only part that's actually true is that my name is Vincent. Well, my first name is. It'd be rather odd if I'd been christened Vincent Vincent. Not impossible, I grant you, but probably symptomatic of a parent's perverse sense of humour.

As to more personal matters...well, what can I say? I found, at an early age, reality to be immensely disappointing: I'd had an image of what the world should be and then experienced some sort of cognitive dissonance when I discovered what it actually was. No dragons. No elves. No secret realms. No magic. Thus I escaped into fantasy, and to this day I've never been able to break free of its grasp.

Not that fantasy's the only fiction I enjoy; I'm a big fan of old-school sci-fi and horror too, but Tolkien cast a spell upon me that's seeped into my soul. I read once that everything we read alters the make-up of our brains, and having encountered the Lord of the Rings while a pre-teen I can only agree with that assessment. Whether it's based on noteworthy science or not is another matter entirely, but speaking for myself Frodo's journey has had a profound effect on how I view both fiction and this mummers' play we call life.

If nothing else, LotR fed my sense of the epic, my craving for something far beyond the mundane.

And that, I imagine, is enough wittering on my part. If nothing else I hope this rather rambling post has given some insight into my psyche (if you want to delve deeper you'll have to buy me a drink and a decent meal, though food is probably optional — I'm easy that way.) Having waded through various forums devoted to either fantasy or writing or fantasy writing I think I might actually have found somewhere to call home (minus the arguments, recriminations and simmering sense of thwarted ambition — oh, just me then?).

Anyway, it's great to be here. I look forward to bumping into you all at some point in various and sundry threads.

GeekDavid

Auror
Welcome!

You might not just bump into us in threads, we tend to do chats most evenings (though tonite, being Thanksgiving in America, might not have one), and sometimes even during the day. Sometimes these chats are extended private chats if there's no moderator around to open a public one, so if you get an invite, don't be scared.

Beyond that, pull up a chair -- making sure there's not a cat or a halfling in it -- and jump in a discussion somewhere!

Ireth

Myth Weaver
Welcome here, Vincent! (Gotta say, I love your name. It's one of my favorites. :D) Feel free to find a chair somewhere and warm your toes by the fire.

Philip Overby

Staff
Article Team
Welcome! We are fantasy-loving folks around here. Many of us find reality disappointing too! :)

(I put a smiley and exclamation points because it makes it sound more cheerful.)

Thanks a lot for the welcome, guys. Or gals. Or maybe I should just say 'guyals' and cover both bases (though I'm pretty sure Guyal is a character in a Jack Vance story). Sorry I didn't reply sooner but life reared its ugly head, as is its wont. Anyhoo, it's much appreciated.:)

Ruby

Auror
Hi, like you I've just joined Mythic Scribes. I also love LOTR and often reread it! Maybe that's why I have invisibility rings in my WIP! It wasn't intended, somehow it just happened. Well, everything's derivative isn't it?

Welcome to Mythic Scribes, Shadows (if I may call you that). You've come to the right place, the place of people who now and then like to pop off to the fantasy worlds of our collective imagination because, to be honest, we feel a lot more at home there ;).