• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Ideas for conflicts between brothers over who should rule

CL Mozena

Acolyte
I'm working on a novel where the heir to the throne (Orion) is 11 years younger than his brother. The older brother (Rick) is very jealous of Orion, and wants to kill him for the throne. Rick and Orion are half-brothers with the same mother. Orion's father is the king of one kingdom, and his mother is the queen of a neighboring kingdom, so Orion will inherit both and join the two. Rick's father is nobody special, but Rick believes that his birthright has been stolen form him by Orion.

I need some ideas for conflicts between the two brothers that could be mistaken for accidents. One example I have is where Rick poisons Orion's drink, but it's not strong enough to kill him.

The story takes place in a medeval setting, where modern technology is just beginning to be introduced (the palace is just being upgraded with electricity and indoor plumbing).

Rullenzar

Troubadour
1.Setting up traps, like when Orion is say having sex, wear down a bedpost so that it snaps and the bed falls on him.
2. Hiring a female assassin posing as a whore.
3. Tricking him into an ambush.
4. Why not come up with something on your own? That's half the fun.
5. Your poison idea has been done in numerous stories.

Ralph Fg

Dreamer
Is killing neccessary? If not, then you could try having Rick trying to tarnish Orion's reputation (politics, you know). It would make for great character development for both of them when Rick is trying to uncover Orion's scandals (He is not the biological children of his fathers, etc.).

Considering the palace is under construction there's always the risk of an electric malfunction (prior to the adoption of A/C technology electrical wiring was incredibly dangerous), fire, or even loose floors or overhead ceilings.

Then there's the more common stuff like putting snakes in his bed or resorting to the Dark Arts:hexes, curses, summoning hell spawn to constantly torment Orion day and night.

shangrila

Inkling
Something really depraved and evil would be cool. See how far Rick will go to get his "birth right".

I have to ask though, if Rick's father is a nobody, isn't he essentially a bastard ('scuse the language)? How we he have any right to a throne? And wouldn't somebody point out that killing the heir to another kingdom is a good way to start all out war?

Helen

Inkling
Watch the movie EL CID...princes at each others throats...it's all there. It's set in medieval times too.