• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Idols in your Worlds

Codey Amprim

Staff
Article Team
So I was curious, especially since I'm dealing a whole deal with important figures in my book, about important persons in your worlds. Having legendary figures in your world embues your realm with lore, and can even be the focus of a story. We have icons in our world, too, and we've had many that walked our earth before us; while the ones of today may not be great heroes or warriors or knights, etc, they are still inspiration to their fellow human beings as well as role models.

Do you keep these same factors in your world? What kind of system is it: fear or inspiration?

How did they become leaders? Why do people look up to them? What factors are present with your heroic and iconic figures in your world?

I think this would be a great excersize for anyone, really. Feel no need to give every detail if you do not wish it, I am simply curious to how other talented writers go about this.

Thanks!

In the later years in the land of Alzio, the people see Hurkyul Twie Hëradïn the 5th and Great; King, Uniter and Namer of Alzio and shield to the Alzidwïn and son of the Chrëdiyëdi (which is who I have named myself after on these forums) is to most loved of all the heroes of myth and the one who gained the most honors and titles. There are others, but their tales are not fully told, like that of the four children of Orton Tagri Fiitën the 3rd; King and shield of Orïtïs, son of the Dojrëyëdi, there their tale is more sordid in that, when his first son took the throne, his twin sister killed him to take the throne, the people rose against her and installed her sister as queen and when her little brother was of age she abdicated allowing him to take the throne. I plan on writing that story, it will be fun, I think.

Nightbringer

Acolyte
Well, generally in our world, we remember and idolise the people who did great things. In America they remember Thomas Jefferson, why? The Declaration of Independence of course. If you ask any American to name a famous US President, how many of them are going to say James Polk or Martin Van Buren?

In the lore of, what in time will become, my fantasy novel, there is a King that many people remember, called Melanus. He united the 8 warring human nations into one, ruled the land with kindness and compassion, and was a feared warrior, who won many wars and defended his nation against the surrounding principalities.

No one remembers Feros the 2nd, because he didn't really do anything.

In short, they're remembered and idolised because of their amazing accomplishments.

As far as current reality-based history goes, you really only have to accomplish one major thing to be remembered, but idolatry goes somewhat beyond that. I doubt that many, if any, people idolize Jefferson. He's known mostly for writing the Declaration of Independence, not really for his presidency. Everyone knows John, Kind of England, for the Magna Carta, but who can name anything else he did? (Not you, Ravana, I'm sure you can name off sixteen things)

My point is that most people, at least in the US, I can't speak for other countries, tend to idolize more contemporary figures. Obviously there are exceptions, there always are. I don't think you can call being known for one thing really idolatry. More of Iconism.

Johnny Cosmo

Inkling
My world has no idols at the moment, but I might include some. I certainly won't give them any part of the plot, but there can be stories, legends, etc. My main kingdom is very down-to-earth, and whilst they love a hero, they find it hard to idolise people. My city-states will probably be different, but I will most likely make any idols an element of propaganda.

jackitsu

Dreamer
In my stories I always try to come up with lore and mythic figures. It usually winds up that they are revered almost religiously instead of just idolized as an ideal for the society, though I want to try and shift away from that a bit, or at least have a fair mix, in the next story.

SeverinR

Vala
I haven't used idols or icons in my stories.
I mention a few battles, and history of hostility between the two countries,
but I tend to be anti-epic.

So idols would not apply to the common businessman/farmer trying to make a living.

Except for Dragons and their riders, I guess they would fit in as idols.