• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Information Organization Name

Alexander

Acolyte
In the current book I'm writing, I'm needing to come up with a name for a nation's intelligence organization (spies, informants, the like). The nation is called Albasai, and a lot of the names come from a similar naming style (Ladao, Alioun, Arlona, etc.). I don't want to go with something like Albasain Intelligence Organization, seeing as how the setting is also in an early renaissance period, and I feel that such a name would be out of sorts for the setting. I was wondering if anyone would have ideas for a name?
Thank you ahead of times.

Shreddies

Troubadour
Depending on how secret they're supposed to be you could give them a perfectly mundane or harmless sounding name to keep the masses (and rival states) ignorant of their purpose.

Like: 'Albasain Gentlemen's Club' (for Unclubbable Gentlemen)
Or: 'The Albasain Folk Dancers Union'

I like names that link to an already understood meaning or concept. E.g. The men in black, watchtower, watchers, Concealed eye, watchers, hooded men, hole in the wall, or something along similar lines (something that implies their nature and carries with a threat). Or if on earth something mythical that has similar associations (such as Argus).

I'm less keen on made up names unless the meaning has already been made clear in another context.

Alexander

Acolyte
Thank you for all of the points. I found the idea of the 'Albasain Gentlemen's Club' to be of particular hilarity. This group is an openly recognized organization, however, so I feel that such a name would be out of place, as it's a sort of mix of the CIA, NSA, and the like, and it is public knowledge. I noticed the other day that a saying I used some times was "the eyes of god(s) are here", meaning that behavior must be upheld, due to the omniscience of the gods. Considering that the founder of this group was a very religious person, I was actually thinking of naming them something like "The Eyes" stemming from that saying. Would that work?