• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Intelligence in Non-Speaking Creatures

So, I'm thinking about the portrayal of dragons in my planned story.

Dragons aren't dumb beasts. They're extremely intelligent, almost as much or as much so as humans, if they can be compared. But dragons don't talk. Not just to humans, I'm not sure they have a language at all.

So i'm mulling this over. Are there other forms of intelligent communication that can't rightfully be considered language? What sort of intelligence even is this, really?

Dragons are unknowable, strange creatures in this world, with a very uneasy relationship with humans. Long ago they were capable of organized action and waged war against humans, but dragons are so decimated that the connections binding them are now severed. They are said to have a strange wisdom existing at the edges of human ability to comprehend. They're intelligent but totally alien. Blue and orange morality. To humans, it makes little sense.

So i'm stuck on how to portray a level of sophistication almost comparable to that of humans but that expresses itself in utterly different ways that don't make sense to humans. If that makes sense. How do you show intelligence in creatures that don't talk and have not much interest in advancing technologically? I'm not sure if or how they use language among each other. Most of all, i'm not sure how to impart this alien quality to the readers.

Ever watch animals? They can communicate without without having to speak. Everything from actions to body language and the like. Or through smells and seeing on wave lengths. Communications with heat and cold. Communication is more then words. It is a great many things all in one. Just have to look at how other creatures communicate that may be weird to us. From colors to song.

Heliotrope

Staff
Article Team
Yeah, so much about communication is non-verbal. We use facial expressions, body language, etc. all the time.

My daughter has non-verbal autism, and she has very animalistic ways of 'communicating' with me. Part of her autistic behaviour is that she doesn't understand any typical cues for communication. This means that she doesn't point to things, and won't look at things you point at. She does not understand any facial expressions, and does not make eye contact.. but, she will pull me to something she wants. She will tap my hand if she wants me to do something for her. She will bring me books she wants read, or a box of crackers if she wants a snack. Her intelligence level is typical for her age, as she has been tested and "knows" her colours, her numbers, and even how to read... she just can't communicate at all.

I was going to suggest animal behavior as well. Body languages, odors, etc...

In the stories of Gor (forgot the author name), there was an intelligent insect race that communicated with each other through sending odors. And the human character described that their 'odor signals' were as complex as music. He described it as beautiful I think at some point.

In Skyrim they say that when dragons are 'talking' to each other, they breath fire towards each other which from the human point of view makes it seem like they are battling when really they are just having a discussion over something.

Bees in real life 'dance' to communicate and show where they can find flowers, etc... Now I'm picturing your dragons moonwalking to say "I dare you to cross this line, dude!" XD

Yeah, so much about communication is non-verbal. We use facial expressions, body language, etc. all the time.

My daughter has non-verbal autism, and she has very animalistic ways of 'communicating' with me. Part of her autistic behaviour is that she doesn't understand any typical cues for communication. This means that she doesn't point to things, and won't look at things you point at. She does not understand any facial expressions, and does not make eye contact.. but, she will pull me to something she wants. She will tap my hand if she wants me to do something for her. She will bring me books she wants read, or a box of crackers if she wants a snack. Her intelligence level is typical for her age, as she has been tested and "knows" her colours, her numbers, and even how to read... she just can't communicate at all.

That is very interesting. Especially for me (I'm on the spectrum myself). The reading part makes me wonder about the connection between reading/writing and verbal communication. For me, writing seems to be rooted in speaking. I think this because I've noticed that when I'm writing when tired, I will transpose words that are phonetically similar. Even if they aren't spelled similarly. for example "thought" for "taut."

I was going to suggest animal behavior as well. Body languages, odors, etc...

In the stories of Gor (forgot the author name), there was an intelligent insect race that communicated with each other through sending odors. And the human character described that their 'odor signals' were as complex as music. He described it as beautiful I think at some point.

In Skyrim they say that when dragons are 'talking' to each other, they breath fire towards each other which from the human point of view makes it seem like they are battling when really they are just having a discussion over something.

Right, so they could have forms of communication that humans just don't have the capacity or the senses to pick up on.

Bees in real life 'dance' to communicate and show where they can find flowers, etc... Now I'm picturing your dragons moonwalking to say "I dare you to cross this line, dude!" XD

OPPA GANGNAM STYLE *woop, woop woop, woop*

I am thinking about non-human forms of communication that are very complex. It is believed that dolphins can use echolocation to "project" images to other dolphins. Or at least, they can explain fairly complicated things to other dolphins.

Heliotrope

Staff
Article Team
I forgot to add that my daughter does know some sign language. She can communicate with sign language. She also has a picture board on a wall in our kitchen and she brings me pictures of things she wants.

I forgot to add that my daughter does know some sign language. She can communicate with sign language. She also has a picture board on a wall in our kitchen and she brings me pictures of things she wants.

I would say that is definitely communication. Not with words, but communication.

Ban

Troglodytic Trouvère
Article Team
Whatever you choose to do, keep in mind that without a true language of some sort, species cannot develop complex societal structures because they can't spread any advanced information from one creature to another. All knowledge the dragon knows must be passed down through magic or genes or whatever, or learned personally.

Whatever you choose to do, keep in mind that without a true language of some sort, species cannot develop complex societal structures because they can't spread any advanced information from one creature to another. All knowledge the dragon knows must be passed down through magic or genes or whatever, or learned personally.

Right, so with a creature that cannot use language, there really cannot be culture.

I'm still envisioning communication that is fairly complex, but just something utterly unhumanlike.

Dragons sing, or at least some do. I envisioned the smaller ones communicating with songs that were pretty complicated. Now I don't think the big ones are much different, except their "songs" don't sound very musical to human ears. I think about wolves chorusing at night. And, of course, birds.

I find this significant because I am constantly interested by how music, without words or language, is so evocative. My friend and I listen to a lot of the same instrumental music and when we talk about the pictures it creates, they're often very similar. Even containing similar colors.

So this would be a communication style that's not conceptual but artistic/empathic.

Imagine all dragons having synesthesia. I'd imagine people with it would have greater ability to understand them.