• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Intentionally simple starting plot

Queshire

Istar
Considering that I plan on writing an arc-based series of short stories do you guys think that it would be a good idea to have the first arc be a pretty simple man vs monsters style plot with the idea that the first arc would be used to establish characters and setting which an more involved plot might overshadow or do you think that intentionally weakening my writing in that area would be a bad idea?

Svrtnsse

Staff
Article Team
I think it's a great idea.

It will allow you to focus on establishing a connection between the character and the reader instead of trying to set up for what's to appear in potential future stories.

I wouldn't think of this as weakening the writing, but rather the opposite. Take it slow and add depth little by little is going to make a much better impression than dumping all the awesome on the reader right away.

Penpilot

Staff
Article Team
Simple starting points are IMHO the best starting points. Look at GOT. It's starts off with a simple visit by the King and an offer of a job. Simple starts allow for the reader to get a firm footing before getting into the complex.

Svrtnsse

Staff
Article Team
A good example of this done well is the Dresden Files series. It starts out fairly basic, but gets more and more involved the longer it goes on. A casual reader can probably dive in wherever and still enjoy a single book somewhere in the middle, but you'll get a lot more out of it if you've been there from the start.

Ruby

Auror
A good example of this done well is the Dresden Files series. It starts out fairly basic, but gets more and more involved the longer it goes on. A casual reader can probably dive in wherever and still enjoy a single book somewhere in the middle, but you'll get a lot more out of it if you've been there from the start.

I wish you hadn't told me this. I wanted to read them so I have just borrowed two recent ones from a library.