• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Interesting new words

Svrtnsse

Staff
Article Team
silience
n. the kind of unnoticed excellence that carries on around you every day, unremarkably—the hidden talents of friends and coworkers, the fleeting solos of subway buskers, the slapdash eloquence of anonymous users, the unseen portfolios of aspiring artists—which would be renowned as masterpieces if only they’d been appraised by the cartel of popular taste, who assume that brilliance is a rare and precious quality, accidentally overlooking buried jewels that may not be flawless but are still somehow perfect

Ankari

Hero Breaker
silience
n. the kind of unnoticed excellence that carries on around you every day, unremarkably—the hidden talents of friends and coworkers, the fleeting solos of subway buskers, the slapdash eloquence of anonymous users, the unseen portfolios of aspiring artists—which would be renowned as masterpieces if only they’d been appraised by the cartel of popular taste, who assume that brilliance is a rare and precious quality, accidentally overlooking buried jewels that may not be flawless but are still somehow perfect

That's an amazing word. I'm going to try and work that into a story.

Ireth

Myth Weaver
Found this one on Facebook the other day:

1422515_379271308875378_313752369_n.png

SeverinR

Vala
silience
Like my web search I thought it said Silence at first.
The only place Bing found silience was The Dictionary of Obscure Sorrows

A. E. Lowan

Forum Mom
Leadership
It may very well be made up words. But it's still a nice site. :)

Isn't that where most words come from, though? Like "squee." I love this word! It's totally onomatopoeia, which I think is probably the origin of many words. I think that we, as writers, have not only artistic license, but artistic responsibility to contribute new and wonderful words. Just think, without Lewis Carroll, we wouldn't have the word "jabberwocky."

danr62

Sage
And here I thought jabberwocky came from a dance group that was on that reality show a few years ago...

Ankari

Hero Breaker
Like my web search I thought it said Silence at first.
The only place Bing found silience was The Dictionary of Obscure Sorrows

I jumped around the various links and came upon this:

Each definition is original and handcrafted by John Koenig with his right thumb. Give feedback, tell us about your day or suggest a new obscure sorrow at [email protected].

I found it on his facebook page. It appears these words are made up.

Svrtnsse

Staff
Article Team
Too bad they're not real words.
It's still an interesting idea for a page/site/blog though