• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Interesting video on archery.

This Danish guy figured out how to fire a bow really, really fast:

I got this off another forum where people commented he uses a rather light bow and that the armor piercing test is not very reliable. That said, the guy apprently only trained for two years, not the lifetime a professional military arched would have. Gives you an idea of how dangerous someone seriously trained at archery might be.

Last edited by a moderator:

Devor

Fiery Keeper of the Hat
Wow, that's incredible. It makes me want to include that kind of archery in my writing, but I don't think anyone would believe me.

It seems like common sense, once you see it at least, that a bow doesn't always need to be fully drawn to fire. A lot of what's survived of archery technique comes from tournaments, and from the image of a mass of archers firing longbows into the air. It's been a long time since there's been any down-and-dirty archery street fighting like what you see in this video.

Good note on the armor test. Most armor piercing tests like this one aren't reliable because authentic riveted chainmail is too pricey to make nowadays (for that matter, so is sinew for a bow string), but based on what I read, old accounts say chainmail held up against most arrows much better than is commonly believed.

Cursive

Scribe
This video is great! Thanks for the link. Scary to think a what a group of equally skilled archers could have accomplished back in the day.