1. Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us.

Introduction and Rules

Discussion in 'Archipelago Archive' started by myrddin173, Jul 31, 2011.

1. myrddin173

myrddin173 Maester

Thank Tony!

2. Hominid

Hominid Dreamer

Thank you!

3. myrddin173

myrddin173 Maester

In the Mythic Archipelago section of the Gallery, there are now two versions of the Archipelago Map. One that is the one linked to in the first post of this thread and one that has had latitude lines added to it (and some labels removed).

Black Dragon likes this.
  4. Sir Tristram

Sir Tristram Scribe

Would it be possible to add some more islands, since it seems that everything is taken?

5. Telcontar

Telcontar Staff Moderator

I'm not sure we're likely to add more islands. There may be some 'abandoned' islands that you could take over the development of, or perhaps you could find a certain island with an underdeveloped aspect and ask the manager if you could take charge of that particular bit. Or, you could jump right to writing some stories and help us develop the archipelago that way!

6. Black Dragon

Black Dragon Staff Administrator

One thing that I'd like to see is someone develop an epic city, complete with map, landmarks, fortresses, etc. That has the potential to be awesome.

7. Ravana

Ravana Istar

Well, I got a good start with the city of Kilvikasa, though I wanted to leave the majority of its internal development to others. May have to add a few more details to it.

@Sir Tristram: given the relatively low level of development any of the islands or regions has received thus far, there's really little need to create more of them. Just pick an area which strikes you as being suited to your concepts and start tossing ideas around. In all likelihood, whoever's "in charge" of that region will be thrilled to see contributions being made, as long as they don't blatantly contradict existing material.

Black Dragon likes this.
  8. Taro

Taro Minstrel

Is this still going? cause this looks so cool :D

9. Telcontar

It is, though I seem to be the only person actively developing my island/writing for it at the moment. I'm hoping the others will return their areas to life soon, as well.

10. Taro

Taro Minstrel

yeah i would love to help or do what ever i can :)

11. Telcontar

Then you have several options!

A) Check out the various Island Threads and read up on them. If one sparks your imagination, write a story based on the island or using characters from the island. After all, this whole world-building thing was supposed to lead to story writing...

B) Find one of the island's that hasn't been updated in awhile and talk to the 'managing editor' (the one who started the main island thread) if you can get ahold of them. Offer to help develop the thing.

C) Find one of the islands that hasn't been updated in a LONG while, then post in the appropriate thread about taking over development. :)

Taro and Black Dragon like this.
  12. Taro

Taro Minstrel

Thanks Telco, just might do that :)

13. PrincessaMiranda

PrincessaMiranda Troubadour

Ok, I'm pretty interested in this and I know the Islands are already taken, but... would it be possible for me to create a mysterious "Mythic" race of people who are amphibious-but mostly aquatic? So, therefore... no Island. I'm not trying to find a loophole, just want to make some of the stories a little more spicy and intriguing by adding this strange and mysterious aquatic race. It just seems to make sense since the entire world is made of Islands. Also, I think they can be sort of ninja/pirate/thief. If that is even relevant to this thread...

14. Telcontar

Miranda: I'm glad you have some interest in the Archipelago. :)

Right now the whole project is undergoing some revamping. Soon you'll be able to join in with the reboot, so don't worry about "all the islands being taken" (which will most certainly not be the case, very soon).

That goes for everyone else as well!

Black Dragon and Devor like this.