• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Is the Broken Hero Overdone?

Malik

Auror
I did a twist on this: a protagonist crawling out of rock bottom, but instead of the run-of-the-mill redemption arc, I gave him an atonement arc. He's working to make up for what he did, but he suspects he'll never actually balance the ledger, which keeps him looking for bigger fights. Atonement is performed; redemption is granted. Heroes receive redemption through their accolades, applause, worship, what have you; superheroes, especially. Remove that, keep the origin story, and you have a truly tortured protagonist.

ShadeZ

Maester
I did a twist on this: a protagonist crawling out of rock bottom, but instead of the run-of-the-mill redemption arc, I gave him an atonement arc. He's working to make up for what he did, but he suspects he'll never actually balance the ledger, which keeps him looking for bigger fights. Atonement is performed; redemption is granted. Heroes receive redemption through their accolades, applause, worship, what have you; superheroes, especially. Remove that, keep the origin story, and you have a truly tortured protagonist.
Yes the tortured protagonist is the one who easily teeters on the edge of being a sadistic wicked villain or a dark slowly redeeming himself hero. Certainly the most fun to write.