• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Is there no way to bring back the editing function?

Ghost

Inkling
I remember there was something about spammers coming to edit links into their posts. Were the numbers of spammers so overwhelming that regular posters needed to lose the editing function?

I've been on forums that had a threshold for editing posts. You needed 25 posts at one place, 50 posts at another. Is there some technical issue that prevents us from doing setting up a similar threshold? It seems to me if someone makes 50 or 100 posts, they're sticking around.

If that isn't possible, could we find another workaround? I hate contacting moderators for everything from typos to deleting entire posts. They aren't always around, and even if they were, I feel like I'm bothering them over small things. The inability to edit my own posts compounds my hesitation about posting in the Showcase. I don't have control over what I post there. :(

It seems like there should be a better way to do this.

Black Dragon

Staff
Administrator
I understand your frustration, but at this time there is no way for us to technically implement a tiered editing function. It just isn't possible with our setup.

And yes, the number of spammers abusing this function was overwhelming. Over 30 spammers had been abusing it before we caught on, and a massive amount of spam had to be removed. It was a very serious problem, as they would make normal posts, and then return days or even weeks later to insert spam links to very dangerous sites.

For the well-being of our community, a one hour editing window was the only option. I searched hard for alternatives, but this was the only feasible way to put a stop to a growing problem.

Thank you for your understanding.

Sparkie

Auror
I understand your frustration, but at this time there is no way for us to technically implement a tiered editing function. It just isn't possible with our setup.

And yes, the number of spammers abusing this function was overwhelming. Over 30 spammers had been abusing it before we caught on, and a massive amount of spam had to be removed. It was a very serious problem, as they would make normal posts, and then return days or even weeks later to insert spam links to very dangerous sites.

For the well-being of our community, a one hour editing window was the only option. I searched hard for alternatives, but this was the only feasible way to put a stop to a growing problem.

Thank you for your understanding.

This explains a lot for me. It seems much has happened in my (inexcusable) absence, not all of it good.

Thanks for making things clear.

I was unaware that there was a one hour window! I wondered because I thought I had remembered editing recently.

Spammers are rubbish. The last forum I was a regular member on ended up shutting down entirely because of spammers.

@Black Dragon: You say "at this time", does that mean we may expect options in the future? Or is that just you being 100% accurate with the information? Thank you!

Black Dragon

Staff
Administrator
The last forum I was a regular member on ended up shutting down entirely because of spammers.

The members aren't seeing it, but the spammers have surged in numbers and tenacity in recent months. Thankfully we have good filters in place. But more importantly, we have a really dedicated team of moderators who work hard to keep out the garbage. They are the heroes of this community.

@Black Dragon: You say "at this time", does that mean we may expect options in the future? Or is that just you being 100% accurate with the information? Thank you!

Right now it isn't possible. But as the software and technology evolve, who knows what will be possible in the future.

Mindfire

Istar
The members aren't seeing it, but the spammers have surged in numbers and tenacity in recent months. Thankfully we have good filters in place. But more importantly, we have a really dedicated team of moderators who work hard to keep out the garbage. They are the heroes of this community.

I KNEW there had to be a reason so many people kept getting knighted.

Sheilawisz

Queen of Titania
Thanks for the appreciation of our efforts, Black Dragon =)

Just like Legendary said, we have been blasting spammers out of Mythic Scribes... a lot. I would love to see the normal post-editing powers back for all the members and maybe someday it will be possible, but spamming is a very serious danger for our community and the editing has to be limited for now.

It's better to re-read your posts one or two times within the one-hour window, just to make sure you will not want to edit it later.

Devor

Fiery Keeper of the Hat
Of course, everyone here can help by reporting Spam wherever you see it, with the triangle-exclamation button on the bottom left of all posts.

Also, in case anyone is wondering why we should stop lois-voutton links which appear in old posts nobody is looking at anymore, well, bad links can sabatoge our rankings in google's search engines. And sometimes those posts will show up on the random google search to attract new members, which you can see for yourself when people talk about how they discovered Mythic Scribes.

Philip Overby

Staff
Article Team
Yeah, I'll add that Sheila is the main one blasting all this spam. Not the only one, but one of the main ones. I'm pretty sure her ban hammer has anti-spam glyphs on it.

Graylorne

Archmage
Ah, is that where my post went. Early yesterday I posted in the Self-Promotion forum, pointing to some excerpts from my books I’d placed on my website. So as not to spam, I just pointed to the existing link in my signature. I didn’t get a reaction, and I wondered what I’d done wrong. Was my post shot down by spam control or by a mod? Never realized spamming was such a problem. Sorry, I won't do it again :)

Steerpike

Felis amatus
Graylorne, it was just automatically flagged as needing moderator approval. I guess we missed it. I've approved the post.

ALB2012

Maester
Yeah KDP forums got spammed by about 12 pages of "buy tramadol *insert medication of choice*. Really it was very annoying.

Hang in there Ghost if they ever find a way to keep out the rifraff and give us back our edit button they will.
I also hate that they have had to do this and I don't contact Mod's unless there is a dire need.
I too hesitate to post anything because I am notorious for having to edit things due to typos. The way I look at it I can either give up, work harder to try to be perfect or stop caring.

I have decided to go with the work harder option. I hope you do to! :)
Next time you see a spammer slap them in the face with a slice of mystery meat!!!! That should make em think twice. ;)