Is this a good fictional organization name?

Discussion in 'Writing Discussions' started by Writer’s_Magic, Jun 7, 2018.

1. Writer’s_Magic

Writer’s_Magic Lore Master

Hey, gals and guys! I’m planning a mystery web series at the moment, too. My two protagonists work for a fictional police department. Of course, I have to name this division. Well, I thought about it, but I don’t know if it’s a good name. The name, which I thought about, is “Bureau of mystery crimes” (Short: BMC). Is this a good name? How do you name fictional organizations?

P.S.: The genres are Sci-fi; horror; thriller; fantasy; mystery; and cryptozoology.

2. Laurence

Laurence Mystagogue

Something about “Mystery Crimes” sounds slightly childish to me - though BMC sounds good.

Perhaps just “Bureau of Mysteries” or “Bureau of Criminal Mysteries” would work if the emphasis must be on the mysterious.

3. Writer’s_Magic

LaurenceLaurence The series is going to be a little bit á la X-files. But with much more mind-fuck! And non-real world scenarios e.g. Video Games.

Laurence likes this.
  4. evolution_rex

evolution_rex Grandmaster

Any crime that is unsolved is a mystery, so I don’t think it works. You need a word describe the unusual sci-fi aspect.

5. Writer’s_Magic

evolution_rexevolution_rex Maybe. But I didn’t decide if it is set in the present or future yet.

6. Heliotrope

Heliotrope Staff Article Team

True to all of my posts thus far.... keep the name for now. Change it later of something better comes up.

7. Writer’s_Magic

HeliotropeHeliotrope Ok! For the first script, I should keep the name. And later editing.

Laurence likes this.
  8. Ban

Ban Staff Article Team

Explain the organization and we may be able to come up with a better name together. If you have doubts about the name, it's time to think about up in my opinion.

9. Miles Lacey

Miles Lacey Master

If the law enforcement organisation is going to investigate crimes that occur outside of the world as we know it then you can always call it the Bureau for the Investigation of Non-Terrestrial Crimes (BINTEC).

Alternatively go for something so bland and unassuming that it will stick in the minds of readers precisely because of it.

Everyone knows the name James Bond but most people don;t know that Ian Fleming chose the name because it was the most boring, unassuming name he could think of. And can you think of anything less interesting but as well known as the 00 section of Mi-5?

10. ThinkerX

ThinkerX Valar Lord

The 'mystery' part doesn't work. I'd suggest something like:

'Department 13' (D-13)

or

'Division X' (DX or 'Dex')

11. CupofJoe

CupofJoe Valar Lord

And there would probably be more than one name.
    There would be the Official Name: The Centre for Unexplained Crime; and its initials CUC.
    Then there is how it is known to the people that like/work with it The Kooks .
    Next is the name that is used by the people that don't like it or are its target [and this could be anything, riffing off something about them; their uniforms, or lack of them, how they operate, the weapons they use, the time of day they strike, if people ever come back from being "visited" by them...].
    And add to Miles Lacey; don't forget the cover name that MI5 used for its operations was a company called Universal Exports...
    How bland can you get?

12. Writer’s_Magic

BanBan Ok! Then I’ll try it. But I can’t give the guarantee that you understand following words 100%. Well, the organization is kinda an FBI for paranormal phenomena. That police examine the different cases. It can be everything! Serial killers, aliens or even vampires. I hope I explained it well…

13. Penpilot

Penpilot Staff Article Team

What kind of tone are you going for?

14. Writer’s_Magic

PenpilotPenpilot I don’t know. Are the genres a tone, aren’t they? But I believe I’ll also write more mind-fucked and darker than x-files.

15. Penpilot

Penpilot Staff Article Team

Genre and tone are independent. For example, you can have comedy horror, dead serious horror, and all the stuff in between. How you name something can swing things in one direction or the other.

I mean if you keep your name Bureau of mystery crimes (BMC), knowing there's kind of a redundancy in the title, it gives it a less serious tone.

16. Writer’s_Magic

PenpilotPenpilot Well, I already wrote the genres in the first one. But I can paste them for you here again: The genres are Sci-fi; horror; thriller; fantasy; mystery; and cryptozoology.

17. Heliotrope

Heliotrope Staff Article Team

Give an example of what it is "like"......

For example, my gothic mystery has some "horror" elements to it, but not "Paranormal Activity" horror, more like "The Green Mile" horror. Do you see the difference? One had a shock value tone, and plays to cheap thrills and scare tactics. The other horror is more subdued, and more grounded in real themes and emotions.

18. Writer’s_Magic

19. pmmg

pmmg Dark Lord

Bureau of Mystic Crimes (Still BMC)
    Bureau of Paranormal Investigations
    Bureau of Supernatural Occurrences
    Bureau of Strange Occurrences and Investigations.
    Strange Occurrence and Investigation Unit