Is this the right publisher for my book idea?

Discussion in 'Publishing' started by Writer’s_Magic, Jun 17, 2018.

1. Writer’s_Magic

Writer’s_Magic Mystagogue

If I had my story finished, I would publish it. I don’t like self-publishing. So, I wanna send it to a publisher. My dream publishers are Tor or RandomHouse. But I don’t know if they would publish my work. You know my idea already. So, do you think they would do this? If “no!” do you know other publishers, which publish science fiction and fantasy?

P.S.: For all newbies, my idea is: a woman has to run away from furious North gods, who want to see her dead.

2. Svrtnsse

Svrtnsse Staff Article Team

If your story is good enough, and if they think it would sell enough to make it worth the investment, they'd publish it.

3. Writer’s_Magic

SvrtnsseSvrtnsse What’s meaning by "good enough"?

4. Svrtnsse

That's a much trickier question.

For the specific case though: "good enough to be published by Random House or Tor" would be slightly easier. Essentially, the person at the publisher who decides whether the book gets published must think it's good enough. They must think it's good enough that people will want to pay to read it, and they must think it's good enough that a lot of people will buy it.

Publishing a book - putting it in book shops all over the world, is a massive investment. Your book needs to convince the person who makes the decision to do it that it will make the money back for them, and ideally with a significant profit.

In other words, the book not only has to be awesome - it also has to be better than all of the other books the publisher is getting asked to publish.

5. Writer’s_Magic

SvrtnsseSvrtnsse How do I reach that? Ok. Except, "Yo! Your book must as awesome as an Oscar-winning movie." That’s impossible! I mean I either got a good contact, following the time-trends or know what’s the publisher likes.

6. Svrtnsse

Yep. All those things help.
    If you've got the right contacts, and you're writing the kind of thing that's popular with people who buy books, and know what the publisher likes, that definitely increases your chances of getting published.

It's not impossible. There are people who write those books too. That's your competition.

7. Writer’s_Magic

SvrtnsseSvrtnsse So, how do I reach it? You know I haven’t any resources. I have just my writing skills.

8. Svrtnsse

Reach what?

To obtain the skills necessary to write and amazing book: write - lots.
    To get the right contacts: network with people - online or in the real world.
    To write something that sells: study the market and see what's popular, learn the tropes, and write the story.
    To figure out what the publisher likes: read the books they've published.

Full disclosure: I'm not traditionally published, and I have no desire to be - at this time. I don't have any significant experience with the business side of publishing, and I could very well be wrong. I don't believe I am though, or I wouldn't have posted. EDIT: It's fine to think of me as a grumpy old cynic, it's not entirely wrong.

I know my answers aren't encouraging, but they're also not meant to be. It's okay to dream, and you should go on doing that.
    However, you should also be aware that just dreaming is not going to be enough.
    There's a nice quote on the matter by Terry Pratchett, here: Quote by Terry Pratchett: “If you trust in yourself. . .and believe in you...”

This isn't to imply that you're lazy, but rather to encourage you to start writing your book. There are plenty of others who are dying to have their books published, and who have already written them. If you don't have a book for the publisher to publish, there's no way you'll get a deal.

Heliotrope likes this.
  9. Heliotrope

Heliotrope Staff Article Team

How do you get that good?

Write. Write. Write some more. It will NOT happen with your first novel. Or your second. Or even your fifth (maybe). But you have to write them. Get them done. Write short stories and submit them to Tor. They publish shorts. If they like your shorts, they may like your novels. If they don't, submit them to other magazines. See if other people want to pay for your stuff. Do the story contests on this site (I think a lot of people have said that already). Take a course at your local University. Google "Writing Books" on Amazon and buy some, and read them. Keep a writers Journal and write in it. Everyday. Everything you think of. Poetry. Shorts, Flash, synopsis.

The thing is, Tor or Random House do not publish ideas. What you have right now is only an idea.Everyone has ideas. Lots of people even have great ideas. But can you take that idea and turn it into a great novel? No one can say whether they would publish your idea or not. No one can know until you have an entire, finished, story. And it has to be good. Really good. The best of the best.

10. Heliotrope

Heliotrope Staff Article Team

Like Svrt says, not impossible. You have to be that good. That is your competition. That is who you are up against. Can you write as well as them? If no, then you better start practicing and learning as much as you can.