• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Issues With Drawing A Map, Is there A Trick To Doing It?

Hey all, Well.. Im having some issues, I want to have a map drawn out of my world before i start my story, It just helps me with my whole planning of my story. Only problem is im having real trouble doing it properly, I just dont seem to be able to do it well,I have gone through around 25 sheets of paper, taking my time. If i could get a rough sketch of it all sorted out, would someone be able to do it for me? Possibly in return for something else? Maybe a preface or something ? Maybe even point me in the direction of a website that could do it?
To be honest, Im not expert writer so i dont really want to pay for it,as its not going to end up in a major novel anyway Which is why i was hoping i could perhaps swap something in return for someone to do a sketch of the map Im looking for.(after i describe it or provide a rough sketch.) Even perhaps some people could give me tips on map drawing.

God it feels like a pretty big cop out writing this, But when i look at it people have illustrators for a reason i suppose, Im just not quite up to par. Cheers all :)

Edit: Ok So i might have made a slight improvement, I am still looking for someone of course who may be willing to do some kind of trade.. However i am now also seeking some kind of help with symbols for things, just incase i need to do it myself. mountains are easy but forests and the rest might be trickier.. Cheers all

Last edited:

teacup

Auror
Foah is going to be making a tutorial on how to make maps in photoshop, I think. Not sure if this is helpful at all, but there it is.

Foah

Troubadour
My mic should arrive tomorrow morning, so a youtube tutorial will be available sometime around noon Pacific Time. I think it can be very helpful, and even if I use Photoshop you can use GIMP, which is a free alternative, to replicate the procedure ^^

Spot on mate, I managed to get a decent outline , it sort of looks like a massive island, but thats not problem, So il be avidly waiting on your tutorial.
Cheers

If you are out of ideas, just take any country, state, city on earth, rotate it and you have a map. Just scale it in or out. People won't recognise it.

You can also just start with the points you know: "City of Azaria lies between the The Great Mountains of Arake and the River Azar. It is north of Southshore, who lies by a great lake." I don't need to know where exactly it lies, just have an idea. If they are just a few miles or at opposite hemispheres.
Go slowly, that is all.