• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

I've not introduced myself yet

Johnny Cosmo

Inkling
Hey, I've made a few posts over the past few days - but not yet introduced myself.

I've always had a slight interest in fantasy, but I'm not experienced in the genre. I read The Hobbit, the Lord of the Rings, and other works by Tolkien when I was younger, am currently reading A Song of Fire and Ice, and plan on buying Tigana, and borrowing the Wheel of Time series from a friend. What I've always been interested in though, was reading about ancient mythologies; Greek and Norse predominantly, but a little Celtic and Egyptian too. I also enjoy other fantasy media, films, video games and TV shows.

I remember when I was young, I wanted to write a fantasy story, but the novelty faded with time. Recently I decided I wanted to give it a shot, fully aware that it might just be a passing whim. I half expect to find I haven't really got what it takes. I've been slowly researching and piecing together my world, so I joined this forum, to see how others are going about planning and writing fantasy novels.

Codey Amprim

Staff
Article Team
Hey there, Johnny! I share a same interest in Greek and Norse mythologies, parially due to the RTS computer game, Age of Mythology - something I've spent a lot of time with. Mythologies are a great source of inspiration for your own stories, so I can't wait to see some of your work!

Best of luck with writing! If your story is worth taking time to comtemplate making it come to life, then do it! : )

TWErvin2

Auror
Johnny Cosmo,

Welcome!

There's some good fantasy novels out there that incorporate Greek and Norse mythology, and plenty of good works that don't.

Glad you joined us here.

Terry

Angharad

Troubadour
Greetings, Johnny! I also love all kinds of mythology, and many fantasy tales have their roots in myth. Glad you have joined us.

Johnny Cosmo

Inkling
Yeah, I guess that's what I like about fantasy - it's roots in mythology.

Codey Amprim: I used to love Age of Mythology, it's been a while since I played it properly though. I don't really know many people that have played it - so that's cool.

Xanados

Maester
Welcome to the Mythic Scribes Forum, Johnny. I too have only recently joined.
Norse Mythology, you say? I have quite a bit of knowledge on this subject. I'm also researching the reconstruction of the old Pagan religion called Asatru. I have a Mjlolnir Pendant that I wear most days (Thor's Hammer). I'm an expert by no means but I am currently looking at the two Eddas, aswell.

If you are interested in discussing Norse Mythology over messaging I would be delighted.

Johnny Cosmo

Inkling
Xanados: when I was younger I was more interested in Greek mythology, and gradually found myself getting in to Norse after, so you could probably teach me a thing or two. I have scanned through the Younger Edda recently. I think what particularly intrigues me about Norse mythology is it's almost indifferent pessimism - the winter leading to Ragnarok and the Twilight of the Gods etc. There's also a grittiness, and realness to the pantheon in comparison to Greek mythology, which I think is also attracting me to Celtic deities. From the two tribes of Gods, the battles with giants, and the sacrifices the Gods have to make - which shows them as characters rather than all-powerful God, gives them a lot of character.

The Blue Lotus: Yeah, I guess mythology and religion is intertwined with psychology - which is interesting. Obviously God's were 'created' by men to serve a purpose, albeit inadvertently.

Xanados

Maester
Yes, indeed. One of the most prominent factors in supporting the mythology, for me at least, is that the Old Norse Gods have so many human-like qualities and how they are often portrayed as having just as many flaws.

We'll keep in touch!

Last edited:

Digital_Fey

Troubadour
Welcome to Scribes, Johnny! Mythology is a pretty awesome place to start when it comes to getting acquainted with the fantasy genre. Like you, my enthusiasm for the Greek gods has dwindled since getting to know Odin and the rest of the Norse crowd. They're wonderfully un-godlike when compared to other mythological deities, as Xanados said. They're not all-powerful, just powerful enough to be interesting. And they spend more time sorting out their own quarrels and fighting giants than messing around with the lives of innocent humans, which is commendable :p

Johnny Cosmo

Inkling
I think the tensions between different tribes of Gods helps too. Obviously the Vanir and Aesir tribes merged - but Gods from each group remained, and then the giants add another source of tension (although not always being hostile towards each other). The thing with Greek mythology is that it is largely based 'after' the Olympians defeated the Titans, and became the de-facto pantheon. I'm still interested in that too, but they seem largely undisputed, in terms of power - and it makes Greek mythological stories seem a little less focused on the Gods interaction with each other, and more on man's interaction with them. In general, I mean - of course there are plenty of exceptions.

The Blue Lotus: Yeah, I guess mythology and religion is intertwined with psychology - which is interesting. Obviously God's were 'created' by men to serve a purpose, albeit inadvertently.

Depends on how one looks at things. And as people we tend to look as we were taught to it is rare to find one whom is able to break free of their 'teachings' and think in a whole new direction.

Psychology and Mythology are so intertwined that it is hard to understand one with out the other (hard not impos.)
That being said, it does make for some wonderful tales dose it not! :p
With so many Myths,regions, systems of belief etc to select from.... well we could be here all night rofl.
You started with Greek, myself I started with Egypt and worked my way through the ages. Greeks were covered in school now that I think about it it was covered in a rather Negative light I might add... Guess thats what I get for going to a religious private school... ;)

Johnny Cosmo

Inkling
Perhaps hard to understand mythology without psychology yes, but I don't think it applies the vice versa. And yes, it does make for interesting stories - in fact, it makes me wonder about the psychology of the Norsemen. Whereas Greek myth is all about celebrated heroes overcoming beasts and armies, and occasionally transcending as Gods - the Norse seems more focused on losing eyes, hands, and being devoured by wolves! Very pessimistic. But, that sort of attracts me to them more.

Sure, the Greek heroes sometimes lived tragic lives, but it never seems to take centre-stage in comparison to the heroic feats.