• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Just a Thought Dump

I love getting wrapped up into a character I'm making, being so interested and wanting to build a world for them, creating lore, making family trees and such. But I always end up getting bored with the character, then moving to something else, leaving something I've spent God knows how long in the reject pile.

I've got about a thousand discarded characters, and my ADHD brain can't handle more than one at a time. I hope eventually I'll learn to slowly cultivate my ideas and watch them grow, instead of dumping copious amounts of fertilizer on them and not expecting them to wither.

It's my own flaw, and it's very annoying, but I think maybe D&D will help with continuously adding onto the story and having more than one biased opinion on how the events should take place. I am very nervous for my first campaign, since I don't know these people very well and already missed the first meeting due to family complications. It is no understatement that I expect myself to get too nervous and be a general nuisance or be annoying and them not want to do this with me anymore.

We will see what happens, I suppose. I hope it goes well! I'm both excited and dreading it.

Sometimes I think we get tired of characters because we haven't given them life before we've worn out the world building welcome.

I find my characters far more interesting when I write them into existence in scenes than when I've tried to pre build them before they've even hit the page (or in RPG world, gone on a campaign) It's the little things we (and readers) identify with in them. The scar they received as a child, the little events, victories and losses that formed their world view, the way they cannot resist a good argument or a chance to be of service. How they may sit, feet dangling over the arm of the overstuffed chair, as they read old tomes of magic, how the bite their lip when they are nervous around a certain someone or how they always leave a sip of their drink in the glass. Quirks and behaviors, more than family trees and lore, bring them to life.

As for your gaming group? Like anything in life, finding the right fit takes time. This may turn out to be it, or not, but either way, it's not personal and you should just go and have FUN! Your group is out there somewhere and the joy of discovering it, no matter how long it takes, is always worth the epic adventure. :)